aggressive cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Igs
Kitten

Question aggressive cat

Hi everyone! I'm Iggy's carer!
Help! The reason why I joined is because we are so frustrated with Iggy and I wanted to get some suggestions on what to do. We adopted Iggy this past August from a local shelter. He is a neutered male Russian Blue who was 11 months at the time. He's 15 months now. He is our only cat and he's indoors only. We were told at the shelter that he was very calm, chill, and lazy, which for us was perfect because our household includes an elderly couple. The following day after we adopted him, he bit me really hard on my leg after we took him down from the top of the shower rod. No warning, he just went for my leg and wouldn't let go. I had to go to urgent care because the wound has very deep and infected. I had 10 teeth marks and the nurse that saw me couldn't believe they had been done by a cat. We gave him the benefit of a doubt due to a new environment, however in the months since then he frequently displays aggressive behavior: biting, scratching, ankle biting, thigh biting, sneak attacks, aggressive play, swatting, launching at our legs, attacking us while we're eating, etc. He seems to get very annoyed when we tell him no, take something dangerous away from him (like a plastic bag he's chewing on) or have been out of home. He's also a chewer. He has chewed and broken phone cables, tv cables, rubber bands, hair ties, and other home decoration things around the house. We have taken him to the vet and consulted someone who works with rescue cats. We have implemented everything they suggested: playing with him for 30 mins twice a day, feliway plugins, calming treats, rewarding playtime, calming drops, gabapentin drops when he gets too anxious, getting a big cat tree and placing it by the window, and having small toys around the house to keep him entertained. He was a little better for a few weeks, but now he's worse than before. He keeps launching at our legs and scratching us these past few days. Recently, our landlord informed us he wants to redo the flooring on all the units in our building and so we have been preparing for that since late last week by boxing and moving big furniture into the garage. We honestly don't know what to do anymore. We were told we should consult a behaviorist, but it costs $640 the consult. As you can see, Iggy has been very challenging since the beginning. He has his sweet side where he will ask for a little petting, he'll knead us, and nap next to us, but just as he can be sweet, he can out of nowhere turn aggressive. Over the years we have had several cats (one at the time). Iggy is our 6th cat and we have never experienced problems like this with a cat before. All of our last cats were very sweet, great company, and playful. They were never aggressive. We really don't know what to do anymore. Our vet told us a couple of months back that we should perhaps consider finding him another home. We're starting to think the vet might have been right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 04:02 PM
Premier Cat

O dear, I'm so sorry to hear what you've been going through with your RB boy who's in his "terrible teens" as I call it when males can be aggressive, usually with other males or even females, and occasionally with their owners. One of my first cats was a Russian Blue/Manx mix, and he was the only cat in 18 yrs. of breeding/showing that bit me---I was trying to get him in a carrier to take to the vet after he fought with a weasel who gashed his neck. As a longtime breeder who showed frequently it was somewhat of a joke with other breeders that the RB who didn't bite the judge got the ribbon. RB's did have a bad reputation as biters quite a long time ago now. With a lot of selective breeding, conscientious RB breeders bred this aggressiveness out of them, and the RB's at cat shows today have a sweet temperament. Some of the cat associations, such as TICA (The International Cat Assoc.) have a rule that the cat is disqualified if it bites. It's possible that the cat you got from the shelter was not well bred, or had bitten previous owners? From the suggestions you received already I can't really suggest anything different to do to stop his biting, as I think it may be genetic in his case. As you've already experienced he is unpredictable--never a good trait! and gives a nasty deep bite that needs immediate attention and usually antibiotics. If Iggy doesn't calm down in the next few months, he may always be a "biter" and a danger to your family or visitors or children. You may have to consider moving him to a "cat sanctuary" or giving him to a humane society as a "farm cat", or possibly euthanized. I wish I could be more optimistic. I wish you all the best!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page