cat meowing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

cat meowing

Hello all, I last posted in March about my then 16 yr old Calico, that is 17 now. She was meowing a lot at night and I didn't know why. I took her to the vet again and they did a complete physical including blood work. They said there is nothing wrong with her at all, aside from some arthritis in her right leg, and that she was one of the most healthy 17 yr old cats they had ever seen. But she still meows a lot. When I am moving around the house, cooking, doing laundry, or whatever she will follow me around and meow. But when I sit down she either jumps into my lap or lays at my feet and is completely quiet. Another thing she did just this morning, she woke me up at 2:45am meowing, so I got up and came into the living room. She jumped in my lap and went to sleep. At about 6am I went back to bed to try to get some sleep. After about 1 hour she wakes me up again meowing, but this time louder and more persistent. So I get up, come to the living room, and again she lays at my feet and is quiet. It's almost like she doesn't like it when I go to bed. Could this be an attention thing? I know she is spoiled, but I had no idea her behavior would get so bazaar. Can anyone explain why she is acting this way? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 01:38 PM
Premier Cat

All the meowing could be for several reasons....loss of hearing is one. If you make a noises behind her, soft and loud, does she turn to look or flick back a ear? One of my old cats when she was 16 started going into different rooms and meowing loudly and when I would go to the door, she would come to me. She did have hearing loss then, but also some dementia which cats can get. She also got more demanding of attention too, which happened a short time before she had a spell where she fell over and seemed confused. After a little while she seemed OK and back to normal but subdued, and that evening I had a meeting I had to attend, and when I returned a few hours later, found her dead lying just inside the front door. I think she suffered a heart attack. I felt really badly that I wasn't there for her. Strange thing was that a week later she came back to me in spirit while I was resting in bed, and again the following week, as if to reassure me she was OK. I had never had an animal do that before, but she was my heart cat and very bonded to me, and I loved her very much.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:46 AM
Jr. Cat

Ami touched on what I was about to mention... dementia :'-(

My Charlie passed away recently at 16 1/2 years old, and for the last several months I think he may have had a little dementia. There weren't major symptoms, but sometimes I would catch him just staring off in to space, looking kind of lost.

Or he might be in the living room while I was upstairs, and he would just start yelling... like he couldn't figure out where he was, or where I was. I would come to the top of the steps so he could see me and call for him, then he would look up at me and come to where I was.

I've read that aggression and refusing to use the kitty litter are also symptoms, but I didn't experienced that with him.

I don't think there are any treatments for it, it's just a sad thing that happens when they get older.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 04:11 AM
Kitten

With cats it's usually pretty easy to tell what they want from their meow but not always and they have an odd way of showing things. It's most likely just an attention thing but I've got to ask, does she have any possible problems with the rest of the house normally or is it just when she's acting like this? It could be an anxiety thing with her seeing the living room as a safe spot : \ But it's unlikely and I wouldn't have the information to properly suggest whether or not it might be but if you think it's possible see what you can find to help with that. But like I said it's most likely just an attention thing. Does she sleep on your bed with you? if not, and if you're okay with it, maybe try getting her to see your room as the designated area for relaxing/sleeping, etc. So when she wakes you up meowing maybe try just getting her to lay down where she is and patting her until she relaxes instead of getting up to move to the living room. (If you do think the anxiety option might be possible that solution could help with her at night either way if you don't already do that.)

I hope this wasn't too unhelpful.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you all for your answers. CatloverAmi, my cat does have hearing loss, so that could explain a lot. i'm not sure exactly when she lost her hearing but it could be about the time she started being a lot more 'vocal'. CSdude55, she doesn't have dementia, or doesn't seem to have it. She uses the litter box with no problem, a little too much, really. But with her hearing loss taken into consideration she does act different. I read on another website that a cat with hearing loss will sit and stare, or look confused, and she does exhibit this behavior sometimes, but most of the time she seems very coherent. Alatum, she doesn't act different depending on what room she's in. Yes she sleeps on my bed sometimes. She will jump up on the bed when I go to bed at night, wanting to be petted. So I will pet her and she will lay down for a short time, then she jumps down and goes to another room. She will sometimes nap on my bed during the day too. But when she is constantly meowing at night, the nights she gets me up, she will not jump up in the bed, she will sit on the floor next to the bed and meow until I get up. It's almost as if she expects it. Yes, I know I've probably given in to her too much, and she probably knows I'll get up if she meows long enough. But this is why I was wondering if she does this just for the attention. Kind of like...if she gets her way she shuts up. I don't know if anxiety is the reason for any of this. Unless me sleeping in bed makes her anxious, or moving around the house. I just know the ONLY time she is completely calm is when I'm in the living room sitting in the recliner. Sometimes I think I should just sleep all night in the recliner because that's the only time I have uninterrupted sleep.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:23 PM
Jr. Cat

Just thinking about the hearing loss... this could be a lot simpler than we're imagining.

First off, if she can't hear then she can't protect herself from attacks, so maybe she doesn't feel safe being alone.

And second, she might not be able to hear herself, so she has no idea how loud she's being.

A possible solution might be to make her a nice, comfy bed in a small, protected area that's nice and far from your bed? I've always locked my cats in the laundry room at night, which is as far away from my bedroom as I can get! lol I have their litter box and food there, a large dog crate with a big comfy pillow and a blanket draped over it (which they've always loved), and plenty of places for them to jump up and poke around without damaging anything, so we're all happy with that.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

csdude55, Good idea to lock her in a room, but I'm afraid it won't work with this cat. I have accidently closed doors to rooms not knowing she was in them, and you would think she was being attacked she screamed so loud. I have ordered some ear drops for ear mites for her and I'll see if that does any good. I figure it couldn't hurt to try it. I don't know about how vets are in other areas, but from my experience in my area they take a very cavaliar attitude toward cats and dogs that are advanced in age. They just seem to have a "That's how it goes" attitude like nothing can be done. But I have the opposite viewpoint, like a 'never give up' attitude. I had a 13 yr old lab/shepard mix dog that started having seizures and took her to 4 different vets in this area. None of them could tell me anything and they all just seemed to blow it off as something that happens with age. She died 2 weeks to the day after her first seizure, which was 3 years ago, and I still haven't gotten over it. I'm a retired health care worker so I've seen from the inside how our corrupt medical industry works here in the US, and I'm getting the same vibes from vets as well. So we'll see how my cat responds to the ear drops, although I'm not expecting any miracles. Thanks for your advice, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 12:52 AM
Jr. Cat

I have a similar attitude, and really don't trust vets that much. When my Pepper (a Chihuahua) was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and stopped eating several years back, the vet was pretty much telling me that she would go any day. But I did my research and force-fed her baby food for awhile, and she was able to build her strength back some. She lasted a little under a year longer than the vet expected, with a good quality of life apart from occasional seizures and a few bad days when she could barely move.

But, I realize that they get paid to diagnose problems, do surgeries, and prescribe medication... they're not interested in holistic treatments or dietary changes, because they don't get paid when we cure our problems without them

Don't even get me started on the healthcare industry!! >
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 02:33 PM
Premier Cat

Another thing you might try is some Bach Rescue Remedy Pets....

Directions | Bach Rescue Remedy Pet

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in