cat doesn't like girlfriend - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

cat doesn't like girlfriend

Hello,

My name is Billy and I am new to CatForum. I have a 7 year old domestic short-haired cat named Millie who I love dearly, but she does not like my girlfriend very much. I was hoping to find some advice on here to help my cat and girlfriend get along better.

Thanks!

Last edited by marie73; 11-19-2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome, Billy!

We have a lot of information and resources here and I'm sure we'll be able to help you find a new home for your girlfriend.

Have you tried having her be the one to feed Millie or give her treats? That might help. You'll probably get better advice than that, my girls love everyone so I haven't run into this issue.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 04:21 PM
Jr. Cat

I'm not even joking here... I'm a firm believer that if my pets don't like someone then there's a reason for it. They're more insightful on body language than we are. I would have to seriously think about any girl I was dating if my pets didn't like her.

How does your girlfriend act around your cat? Does she love cats or is she kind of stand-off-ish? If Millie usually likes other people then it may be your girlfriend's approach.

If Millie has had bad experiences with anyone else in the past (like an over-eager child or hateful housekeeper) then there could be something about your girlfriend that's making her remember that experience... same perfume or pitch of voice, something like that. If your girlfriend wears something of yours that makes her smell like you, it might soften Millie up a little.

Otherwise, it really might just take some time for Millie to warm up to her. Having your girlfriend help out with feeding or giving treats is definitely a move in the right direction.

One other thought... I've always heard that when a cat presses his forehead to your forehead then it will leave a pheromone scent that other cats will recognize and know that you are someone to be trusted. If she has other cats in her life, then petting them and encouraging them to press their forehead to hers (not forcing, of course, just encouraging it) could possibly help. That sounds like voodoo to me, but hey, it can't hurt to try! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in