Cat Acting strangely - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat Acting strangely

We have a year old kitty and up to now she has been delightful. starting yesterday morning she seems to have gone through a transformation. She' s acting frightened, jumps when we try to touch her. Her eating pattern has been disrupted, she seems afraid of her food, backing away from it in her bowl. she scratched my son's arms yesterday when he tried to pick her up. she ate little or nothing yesterday, today she would still not go near her food but happily ate most of my breakfast.I was so glad to see her eat I just gave her what I was eating (egg and cereal) and she gobbled it down.

We've tried to figure what changed. One possibility is our other cat may have attacked her without us knowing. The other cat is a 15 year old Tortie and she tends to bully her over food sharing. We were using crystal litter but our local Walmart stopped carrying it so my wife has been using the pine pellet type ( I got a bag of the crystals and changed her box this evening). Also we've been putting up Christmas stuff and I wonder if she ingested some tinsel or something causing her to feel ill. she is eating a bit now so we will give it another day and see where she is tomorrow.

I lost a very loved cat early this year after she just stopped eating and this is making me very paranoid. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:51 AM
Jr. Cat

Several things come to mind:

1. Something hurt her while eating at her regular bowl, and now she associates that bowl or area with fear and pain. I don't think that it hurts to eat in general since she ate some of your food, it's just THAT particular area.

Maybe try offering her the same cat food, but on a saucer and in a different location.

2. Her acting scared and scratching your son makes me think that she's having some sort of pain. How soft was your cereal? It could be something hurting her teeth, now that I think about it. Maybe some tinsel was in her food and is now stuck in her teeth? It's possible that soft cereal and eggs didn't hurt, but her regular food does.

3. Her scratching your son when he picked her up, though... maybe he squeezed a sore area? Maybe try touching her sides kind of gently and see if she reacts. Cats hide pain REAL well, though, so just look for any discreet signs of discomfort, like if she starts watching your hand when you get to a certain area.

On a side note, I found with my Charlie (who passed a few weeks ago) that the best kitty litter to use was the Breeze Cat pellets with a pee mat underneath. The other kind hurt his joints to dig in, but I didn't realize it until I paid attention and saw that he wasn't covering his movements. Pine was WAY too strongly scented for him, and the World's Best kind was expensive and broke down too quickly. He was 16 1/2 when he passed.

As an added bonus, thanks to the pee mats I now can see that my other cat (Mojo, also 16 1/2) is dealing with bloody urine... an issue I would have never seen in regular litter.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Update,

Well this morning, the same thing.I put her favorite food in her bowl (Fancy Feast Pate)and she backed away and wouldn't go near it. I made my breakfast of bacon and a bowl of cereal. she started hanging around me and like yesterday I gave her just a taste of the bacon and put some milk from the cereal in a bowl, she bolted both down, obviously hungry. I then went and got a small saucer and put dry cat food on it and put it on the table next to where I was eating, she ate about half of it. I lost track of her then a bit later went out to the kitchen and saw she'd eaten ALL the wet food! She also used the litter pan this morning and has been like her old self all day. Fingers crossed..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:35 PM
Jr. Cat

I'm still going to have to stand by my theory that something hurt her at her original bowl, and she was associating the pain with the food and area. The process you followed may have gotten her past that association, so now she's trusting it again.

That's just a theory, of course, but hopefully the drama is over! :-D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page