Kitten biting - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Kitten biting

Hi everyone! A question about my kitten. Everyone said scratching would be the worst with my new kitten but I find that it is biting.

He is overall a very well behaved kitten. We have only had him for a week and a half and we've already gotten him to sleep two (almost) full nights with us! He made it about 7 hours before he started pouncing on us... and biting. This morning he bit my nose. His bites are mostly playful and light, but I definitely do not want an adult cat biting me.

He also occasionally bites out of the blue, usually jumping up on to my lap and biting. Again, nothing painful but definitely unwanted behavior.

I typically just ignore him and hope he stops. During waking hours he does tend to stop, but in bed, if left to his own devices I don't think that he would ever stop.

Our usual technique is to just shut him out of our room if he's biting/pouncing in bed since ignoring does not work.

My question is, is this the right answer? Will this behavior stop if we keep using these techniques? We've been able to adjust a lot of behaviors in the last week and a half but he really wants to cling to this one. I would like to avoid spray bottles but that is what family members keep recommending.

Please help!

Edit: We also avoid using our hands during playtime.

Last edited by cosmonaut; 12-25-2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: added note
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:54 PM
Premier Cat

If your kitten is under 2 months of age he has not learned to control his bite. From birth to 3 months old is a crucial socialization period where kittens learn to control their bite and claws by wrestling and play fighting with their litter mates and momacat. Some of the worse biters are orphan kittens. So never use your hands to smack or play rough with a kitten, this will only stimulate him to bite. Your hands are only for petting and caressing. When he's in a bitey mood, distract him, by throwing a toy, or getting a cord and dragging it around in a snakey way, or a wand toy that has feathers on the end (don't let him eat the feathers and also put the wand toy away out of his reach). Praise kitty and pet him when he is behaving well, but if he comes up and bites a loud "No!" and stomp of a foot is often enough to make kitty back off. Also, if he attacks, after saying "No", just walk away into another room. He should get the idea soon that biting doesn't work to get you to play with him. It's not going to improve overnight, so be patient but consistent and give us an update in a few weeks .

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page