Introducing cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Introducing cats

So, I'm not a super experienced cat owner. I've had my cat Shadow for 5 years, but she's the only one I've ever had and she's so good and I've never had any problems with her.
A while ago, my brother found a young cat. She's been at my house for like eight weeks. We call her Jessie. Shadow and Jessie hate each other. They've only seen each other like twice, but Shadow will hiss at the door of the room Jessie is in, and vice versa. We don't want to live with them separated forever. Any ideas?
They're both female, fixed, and vaccinated. Shadow is declawed, Jessie is not. Shadow's about 7 years old, Jessie is 8 months or so. Both get along with the dogs and both were found as strays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:30 PM
Kitten

Hi There are are few things you can do to introduce cats that do not immediately get along. Its all about seeing where each cat's boundary is and creating and accepting that.

1. Try feeding them in the same room but apart. If there is no agression, that means that the food is more important than whatever anger or fear they have of the other. If this works you can start moving their bowls closer.
2. Try playing together. See if the instrict to grab the flower or the mouse or whatever toy they like distracts them from the fact that they within view of each other. If this works that means you have an out during an altercation. Right below an attack may happen you want that toy out so that whoever was being aggressive automatically forgets.
3. Make sure whatever shared spaces you plan on them being together have plenty of room to walk around and get high. Cat Trees, bookshelves, whatever it is make sure you have enough of them in that room and not near eah other so that they can both be in the same room and not feel threatened. Your hope is that eventually Jessie can be in one cat tree and Shadow can walk in and jump into another cat tree without any altercation. You want these seperated so neither even feels like they have to attack.
4. Make sure you have two litter boxes

As I've said before have that toy at the ready. Treats work the same way if one or both are more food motivated.

I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page