My cat is a bully - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

My cat is a bully

Hello! I have a 2 yr old cat (Naan) and a 5 yr old dog (Auri). I’ve had Auri since she was a pup and I’ve had Naan since she was about 8 months old. Both were spayed and they’ve been perfectly fine around each other until the last month. I can’t think of anything that has changed in her environment to have caused the sudden aggression towards Auri. For the last year, they certainly weren’t friends, but they coexisted without trouble while hardly paying any attention to each other. Now Naan is full out attacking Auri and is treating her like prey. Auri will quietly go upstairs and then Naan will follow her and I’ll quickly hear hissing and shrieking. Auri doesn’t fight back. She just cries out and tries to get away. Naan has drawn blood - some right next to Auri’s eye. So in the last month, I have binge watched some My Cat From **** and Cat vs Dog, but I haven’t found anything similar enough to my situation (but I haven’t watched it all yet!). I’ve seen some cat vs cat situation and catification is recommended for the bullied, but that’s not really an option for the pooch. Auri has been incredibly afraid of Naan and is wary to pass her in the hallway. Naan will block her from high traffic areas, the dog toys, and the dog food. Auri has also been attacked while eating before.

I’ve taken Naan to the vet for blood work and urine analysis, but she received a clean bill of health. She’ll still come up and cuddle close to Auri so I really don’t feel she’s scared. I feel like Auri is acting like prey and I don’t know how to get that to stop. I’ve started playing with Naan more and she’s quick to focus on the toy, but even after 30 minutes of jumping and running, she’ll go straight to harassing Auri again.

I’m at a loss. I don’t know what caused this sudden change and I don’t know how to fix it. She hasn’t changed eating or litter box habits. Her reactions to everything/everyone else is completely normal. Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Premier Cat

This is a bad dilemma you have with your dog Auri and your cat Naan, who had a compatible relationship for a year and now all of a sudden your dog seems to be her worst enemy. Cat behavior can be strange to us some times, and her aggression may have been triggered by seeing another cat or even smelling one outside. Our houses are not sealed tight and cats have a very keen sense of smell. Whole males can smell female cats in heat in a house with doors and windows closed. This type of re-directed aggression is often triggered by a cat showing aggression to another cat or dog or even a person in the home. I don't usually suggest putting cats on meds if it can be avoided by other solutions. Both your pets are under duress and this is not good for either their well-being or yours, so I suggest you search out Bach Flower Remedies....for some situations these work; for others not. After giving them a try for a couple of weeks with no results, then I suggest you consult your vet for getting Auri and Naan on some meds to calm them down. Hopefully this would break this behavior of Naan and she will return to her former good behavior with Auri. All the best!

Here's a link to Bach Flower remedies:
https://www.bachfloweradvice.co.uk/b...on-in-cats.htm

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in