Curious about what this behavior was - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Curious about what this behavior was

I have three cats that I've posted about here before. If you know the story from before the good news is the cats at least tolerate each other now. They don't and have never full out fought.

The calico does not get along too well with the tabby and black cat, but is more comfortable with the tabby. If either of them approach her she will normally hiss them away and lash out. She's also normally okay if they're in close quarters... she can be tense, but not tense enough to not play or eat.

Tonight, she was playing in bag and was comfortable with them being as close to her as they were in the picture, still glad to play even though the black cat is pressed up against the bag. The tabby just seemed to want to watch, while the black cat (the one the calico does not like the most) seemed very intent.

I started making noises to make them look at me for this picture, but the black cat refused no matter how loud and close I was... so, she was pretty intent on this bag.

After a second longer of watching, trying to understand, I got these pictures.

After this, I chased her off. I didn't get any more pictures but she did end up coming back... stood all bunched up (I wouldn't say hunched because she wasn't going to pounce) and watched the calico play in the bag some more. She then walked up and started boxing/punching the calico in the face and the calico hissed and lashed out.

The black cat herself didn't have raised fur, her ears didn't pin until the calico reacted, and was standing rather loosely with her paw above her tilted head as she did it. Because she was stressing the calico out now I made her leave the room permanently.

I want to know what this behavior was from the black cat, if anybody knows? Was she simply curious about the bag? Was she cautious because she knows she and the calico don't get along but was still curious? Did she want to play? Was she being dominant, assertive, or aggressive? The calico normally reacts with violent swats to make the black cat go away, and having that as reference the black cat's swatting seemed different and I don't know what to make of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 12:44 AM
Premier Cat

How I see it, black cat was jealous/envious that calico girl was in the bag and having so much fun. So black cat decided to bully her and then pounce on her to make calico run off, so that she could play in the bag. But calico stood her ground and had you not chased black cat away, likely would have "won" the draw, and black cat likely would have backed off. Black cat already knows that calico doesn't like her and isn't afraid to swat her. If it happens again, just observe and see what happens, and let them work things out by themselves.. But if a lot of fur is flying and if the cats are fighting furiously and they get wounds, then I would intervene by walking toward them with stamping feet, and saying "No biting!!" If they don't separate and continue fighting, throw some water on them.....just don't use your hands to try and separate them or you may get bitten and/or scratched.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in