bully cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

bully cat

Hi, Im a 19 year old cat mom of 6 cats! Their names are Ginger, Pumpkin, Finnegan, Scrubbles, Toothless, and Black Bean. 3/6 of my cats were born in my house and I just couldn’t bring myself to let someone else adopt them. 2/6 were stray cats that I brought in and are now a huge part of my life. The last one, I was given by a Facebook friend who was looking for a good home, as she could no longer keep him. I have an issue with one of my cats though, Toothless. I got him last summer from a girl who could no longer take care of him, we got him fixed, got his vaccinations and he’s been with us ever since. I noticed that he is a bully to my other cat, Black Bean. He doesn’t bully any of the other cats, and I thought maybe he could kind of sense that Black Bean was more of a shy cat, not really the kind of cat to defend himself but instead hide from the thing that scares him. I thought maybe its because they’re BOTH black cats, they look the same except from a small white patch under Black Beans neck. I know that sounds silly but I have no other ideas. Toothless does NOT bully any of my other cats except for Black Bean and I just want to figure out why he is targeting him. It makes me feel awful to see Black Bean so nervous when Toothless is in the room. Toothless will stare him down, sometimes purposely follow Black Bean into another room just to intimidate him, and sometimes will attack him. I’ve tried putting cat hammocks in different parts of the house, i’ve tried a spray bottle to try to get him to learn that he shouldn’t be bullying, they have a cat tree, many beds around the house, and a lot of space and attention. What can I do to get my cat to stop bullying my other cat? I dont know where else to go about this, I just do not want to get rid of any of my babies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:32 PM
Premier Cat

Hard to know the reason why Toothless bullies Black Bean....maybe he really does want to be the only black cat in the house! Black Bean shows his nervousness because of Toothless's attacks and makes him a weak target which some cats will bully.

Here are some calming aids: such as Bach Flower remedies, etc.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/natura...emedies-555543

You can also try to change the two cats' attitude to each other. Feed them together in a separate room with dishes far apart to begin with and gradually move them together to a point they can eat off a big plate or tray together. Try to engage both of them in their feeding room with play by using a teaser toy to flick back and forth from one cat to the other. Drag around a cord in a snake-like motion on the floor and over furniture. Have a couple of play sessions a day for 15 min. or so and at the end of the session give them treats. It will be better if you play with them first, then feed them their meal afterwards It will take lots of patience with Black Beans to engage likely, but if you can get him interested it will be good. The whole point is to have their attitudes changed that when they come together, good and fun things are happening---play, treats, food!. All the best and hope some of these suggestions are helpful. Always nice to get an update.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page