Howling - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Howling

Moved into a new house about 3 months ago. My 19 year old cat adapted well to the new house. About 12 days ago my cat started howling. It is so loud the neighbor complained. This goes on during the day but mostly at night while we are "trying" to get some sleep. Took him to the vet and he said cat in great shape for 19 but nothing physically wrong with him.

We've tried moving his water and food closer to our bedroom because that's where the cat sleeps and that didn't help.

Wife and I are averaging about 3-4 hours of sleep per night. Any ideas on what we can do to stop the cat from howling ? We have owned him since he was 6 weeks old and have NEVER heard him howling until recently.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:40 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Vettecor,
One suggestion, get a second opinion!
Howling can be a sign of Hyperthyroidism, which needs a FULL blood panel on, to diagnose!
One of my cats, 15 years old, had started 'howling' at night...in her case, she was also losing weight, even tho' she was eating well...
Her coat was also developing tangles in it, not normal for her!
I read an article about HyperT in cats, and the symptoms were there..I had a complete Blood panel done on her, letting the vet know, I was concerned about HyperT...
She has it!
She is now on medication to control the HyperT, and is doing amazingly well.
All her other blood values looked really good, health wise...

One word to the wise, HyperT can mask CKD, so when I get her blood values retested, we'll know even more...

I don't know what kind of tests your vet ran...
Just trying to give you some thoughts...
Best of luck!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks Sharon for the reply. The vet ran a full complete blood panel and checked his urine. Vet said because of his age he probably has cognitive dysfunction. The whole office couldn't believe he was 19 years old because he was in such good shape. In the 19 years we have owned him he has NEVER been outside.

My wife got some CBD oil (no THC) yesterday because we heard that this can calm a pet down. Its a liquid that has a dropper so you can put on food. We started with a very small dose before bedtime.

We had the best night sleep we've had in days !!! Didn't snow the cat or make him real sleepy. He did howl a couple of times during the night but nothing like the previous nights.

Going to give him a little more tonight to see how he reacts.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:37 AM
Premier Cat

Got to admit I did not know what CBD oil was .... so I found a link. Sounds like it will help with a lot of ailments. The howling is often a symptom of dimentia in cats, or as your vet called it "cognitive dysfunction". One of my old cats did the same thing, as well as going into a empty room and howling, as if he couldn't remember how to get out, and when I went to the door way and called he name he would stop howling and come out.

https://www.holistapet.com/is-cbd-oi...he-real-story/

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Vettecor,
Yeah...that was definitely another possibility...
Not knowing what your vet tested for, I didn't feel comfortable going there...
I hope the CBD oil does the trick, I also understand, it's good for arthritis issues in pets...both cats and dogs...
Please keep us posted, as this may be very important information for other pet owners here!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page