Need Help with Begging/Eating Other Cats Food/Eating My Food etc. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Need Help with Begging/Eating Other Cats Food/Eating My Food etc.

Hi so I just adopted two brothers. They are both a little over 6 months old now. I hvae one 4 year old girl and one 9 year old girl.

This is about one of the boys (Hiccup). He constantly begs for food whenever I eat anything no matter what it is, if it has milk in it the begging gets worse. He scarfs down his meal and then will bother the one of the girls until they give up their food. I find this constantly with my 4 year old girl who is a grazer. I literally have to put her food in the closet until I know she wants more. It I forget to do so, most of her meal with go to Hiccup. He does this with the 9 year old (Bailey) too but not as often as Bailey usually eats all of hers in one sitting. I can't sit down and eat because even if I feed Hiccup at the same time he will climb on table and put his head right in my bowl/plate. Doesn't matter what it is. I feed him and his brother both Sheba 4 portions a day. I end up eating standing up most of the time. I've tried treats and Whiskas Cat Milk when I am eating cereal or something like that. It doesn't last long enough to allow me a normal meal. If i have a snack, (chips for example) he will dive head first into the bag. Once when I was cooking oatmeal on stove he walked onto range when i was looking for sugar. Scared living daylights out of me. That hasn't happened again. But I do not know what to do.

His brother, on the other hand, does not exhibit this bad behavior in any way. Please help me! I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM
Premier Cat

Our two Devon Rex both live up to the term "food hounds" that's even in their breed description! They are incorrigible when it comes to jumping on the counters or tables, especially Fitty, who will jump on a table/counter if there is any food or even a knife with a butter smear on it even if you turn your back for a few seconds. Both of them are as bad as each other if fed together.....first one who finishes will go after the other one's food. What I've done is feed each one in a separate room.....food is never left out to graze as they would demolish it in one go, so they get fed 3-4 times a day: 2 meals with a snack at lunch and just before bedtime. When we eat our own meals, they have to be closed off in another room or they would be doing what your "Hiccup" does. It's the only way we can eat in peace. They get a small treat for going into "the room", so they're anxious to cooperate and just run into it.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

I have two fur-covered Hoovers and a grazer. Cali will take a bite, then look around the room as if trying to decide what color she would paint the walls. Rinse and repeat. I've always fed my girls in separate areas. It sounds like you should feed Hiccup in a room with a closed door until the others finish. And as far as getting into your food, a spray bottle may be in his future. They don't always work. Cali would close her eyes, brace for the squirt, then continue with her bad behavior. Hiccup is still a toddler and needs to learn boundaries. Others will have better suggestions, I'm sure. I just know what worked for me.

ETA: Got interrupted, by the time I hit "save", I see catloverami had also responded with some of the same advice.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; Yesterday at 10:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

CatloverAmi, that is definitely like Hiccup, do they howl or cry when you put them in the room? I do break out their meals into 4 portions every day. Only time when I can't is when I have to go in for work in which case I am away for most of the day and have to feed them 2 portions to get them through the day. i also can't make sure that they don't eat Tequila or Bailey's food them either. Marie73, I really was hoping that I could avoid a water squirter but I guess it would get the point across if it happened enough.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

With my other girls, just seeing the water bottle worked, I didn't have to actually use it. And I haven't used one in years. Hopefully, Hiccup will grow out of this phase.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Misty is my chow hound and will try to eat everyone else's food including mine. So she goes in the half bath to eat and she stays there until I finish eating. She's very cooperative about it, she runs in there ahead of me and doesn't fuss after she's finished. When I go to let her out she's usually laying in the sink and sometimes stays there for a while longer.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page