Cat meowes at other cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat meowes at other cat

I have two cats, both of them are about 8 year old neutered, male adults. I've had one since he was a kitten, and I adopted the other one about 8 months ago. Since the cats didn't get along (I've followed all the guidelines about taking it slow etc.) we've kept them in seperate rooms for a long time. Now we installed 2 meshed doors, one on each room, with hallway separating the two(about 4 meters apart). The first time they saw eachother through the meshed doors, there wasn't any hissing or growing, no sounds, but they were looking at eachother intensly. Overall I think it went good. We've repeated the meetings several times, maybe 10 times. Now, we've shortened the distance between the two doors and now the doors are about a meter apart, but not facing eachother, but at a 90 degree angle (hopefully this is understandable. Imagine two rooms, you go out through one, and turn right to enter the other room after one meter). They've seen each other about 5 times like this so far, and there were no sounds, only intense looks which I managed to break up by distracting them.

To the point: on the 6th and 7th meeting on 1 m apart, the newly adopted cat meowed at the 'old' cat on first seeing him after opening the doors. The meow wasn't loud and didn't seem really aggressive, but I'm conserned that maybe it will lead to a verbal fight in the future. The other cat didn't really react to his meow, because I also distracted him(the old cat was the more aggressive one in the past).

Do you have any ideas what this meowing would mean?

The old cat walks around the room in between looking at the newcomer, while the newcomer just lays there and keeps looking at the other one.

Am I heading in the right direction? Am I doing things too fast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Premier Cat

I think they're showing curiosity about each other since there was no hissing or growling, and the new cat's meow was a friendly "Hi there!"
You're heading in the right direction, and it's time to try and get them closer together, by feeding them within view of each other---no free feeding---but give them meals 2-3 times a day. Feed them at the same time until you can get them as close as possible. Give them exercise with a wand type of toy, like "Da Bird", that has feathers on the end, preferably before their meal, so they come to associate this playing and feeding a happy activity. When they seem to be comfortable with this, you can try and take them to a neutral room, and try and play with them both and then feed them somewhat farther apart than they're used to. Don't let one overtake eating the other's food---sometimes a piggy will eat fast and just barge in and gobble up another's food. I would discourage that, or remove piggy-cat somewhere else until the other has eaten as much as it wants. Don't leave any uneaten food down, or a piggy-cat will soon become an obese cat, which isn't good for its health. Have fun, and all the best!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

@catloverami thank you! I hope they really are only curiosity meows x) now he meowes even after he goes away from the meshed door, meowes a couple of times an then takes a rest on the chair xD idk.. To me, it looks like he's a bit frustrated with the situation..hope I'm mistaken.

We'll see how it goes. I'll post an update when there's any progress /change 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat meeting-Help me understand what's going on between my two cats please

Hello, I've posted here before on the topic of cat introduction.
I have a cat that has been living with us from when he was a kitten, he is 8yo now. (let's call him oldtimer
Under circumstances we had to take in another cat, also a male and an adult (over 5yo,but we're not certain of age) (let's call him newbie
Both have been neutered.

We've had newbie for almost a year now. Although the introduction was slooow and we did everything 'by the book', they still always fought (verbally) whenever they had the opportunity to come close to the same door and sniff eachother under the door, we've kept them in rooms that are separated by a hallway.

We've started with introductions again, using 2 meshed doors. Slowly we've made progress so much, that now, we have the doors separated by les than 0,5 m.

The thing is, now that the doors are much closer, the cats started behaving differently. Our oldtimer actually rolls over onto his back, stretches, yawns a bit and lays there. When he rolls on his back, newbie always tries to come closer to oldtimer and meows at him. The thing is, I'm not sure whether this means he's only curious, or might it be a sign of aggression/dominance? It's interesting since newbie is almost half the size of oldtimer, yet he seems to be the one who has a harder time accepting the other cat.
Also, when they get tired of eachother, oldtimer walks away calmly, while newbie always tries to keep an eye on him and when newbie walks away, he always meows and meows (he's not that verbal with us otherwise). Does anyone have a clue what this meowing means? Seems like he's complaining over oldtimer and isn't happy with him being there.

Should I increase the distance between the two meshed doors again? Are we going too fast for newbie? I've never had 2 cats before so I haven't a clue what that meowing and struggling to get closer to oldtimer, while he's laying on his back mean.

Please help, I'm not sure how to move forward from this point on

Last edited by marie73; 06-10-2019 at 06:45 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:29 PM
Premier Cat

Smile

Thanks for the detailed update. Seems to me that they want to be more friendly. Oldtimer's rolling on his back and stretching is often a friendly gesture (he's exposing his belly). Tho with some cats it's a ruse.....to entice a cat to come so that he can bite and wrestle with it. So it's often difficult to know what will happen. Newbie's meowing when Oldtimer leaves and walks away I interpret that he is sad that he's doing this and wants him to stay, and/or he wants to follow him. If Newbie were afraid of Oldtimer, he wouldn't meow after he left but would look relieved and relaxed that Oldtimer left. I think the time is right that you should switch rooms if you haven't done this, for part of the day so that they really are getting used to each other's scent. Start playing with them with a wand toy (or piece of cord) individually, and then play with one near the other's door and flick it at the door as well. If they're comfortable with this, give them some treats at the end of each play session, and also after room switches. If things are going well, it's time to let them out together at a play time in another room, followed by a meal in the same room---not necessarily their bowls/plates next to each other but in a different location of the room. When things are going well, give lots of praise and caresses to them both and speak to them in a sing song voice "good boys"! You want them to come together anticipating fun and treats and a good time. If one starts to be aggressive, distract him with a toy, or some sound, such as psssst! psssst!, pick up a toy (stuffed mousie, ping pong ball) and throw it somewhere to redirect him. If it's a bad fight that can't be redirected, then whoever started the fight throw a towel over him or put on heavy leather gloves (have these handy just in case) and remove him to his room. Don't try to separate two fighting cats with your bare hands or you may get bitten and scratched badly, and any cat bites that break skin should be treated immediately by washing wound with antiseptic soap and put some antibiotic ointment on it with a band aid so you don't get an infection. See a doc immediately if wound starts swelling. Reelaaax!, and hope all goes well, as I really think cats want to be friendly and play.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

New cat charging at old cat, old cat scared

We tried introducing our two cats to eachother, allowing contact for 3 times now (they've been gradually reintroduced sing meshed screens before).

The old cat (Oldy) seemed to accept the new cat (Newbie) without any problems, he actuall ignored him, and went about his business, exploring other rooms. Newbie however chased after Oldy. At first I thought he just wanted to play with Oldy. As soon as Oldy turned his back on Newbie, Newbie jumped on him or swatted at him. Newbie wasn't hissing or making any sounds for that matter, just puffed up a bit at times, ears weren't flat. But Oldy was really scared and started hissing back at him and started backing away really slowly.
On another meeting, Newbie wobbled his rear, as he would when chasing a toy while playing, and charged towards Oldy. Oldy reacted by puffing up and hissing back. Newbie relaxed, layed down, but as soon as Oldy moved away, he charged at him again. At the end, Oldy was so afraid, he didn't want to enter the living room, where Newbie was. And as soon as Newbie didn't have Oldy in his sight, he chased after him. I prevented Newbie from chasing after Oldy and separated them at that point.

Is there any hope for things to get better between them? Newbie acts really confident but seems to intentionally intimidate Oldy. He doesn't his or growl at him though. Oldy is really scared by him and hisses in return.

What should I do? I hope not all hope is lost..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in