questions about letting cat outside - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

questions about letting cat outside

Hi everyone! New here, I have Valentino who is a very affectionate and loving Male cat. I rescued him last year from a shelter, when he was 4 months old. Safe to say he was the one who chose me! He was recovering from a fractured right back leg.

I do have questions though... he is currently an indoor only cat but I feel awful and want him to enjoy the great outdoors.
The reason Iíve been so anxious about it is firstly, his leg. I know by now it should be well healed, but Iím scared he will hurt himself. The vet says itís all good!
Secondly, I have serious anxiety about him getting hurt or attacked (mostly by humans) as there is an evil person going around killing peopleís pets, and someone else poisoning cats - all in nearby towns. Some people even deliberately speed up and swerve their car to hit cats. He is very friendly and Iím scared he will go to someone with the best intentions whereas their intentions are horrible.

I rescued Valentino when I was at my lowest point, and losing him would destroy me completely - we saved each other. I donít know what my mental health would be like if anything happened to him and I canít begin to explain.

I donít know what to do. The thought of it makes me incredibly upset. He is microchipped, vaxxed, neutered etc.

What else can I do to make indoor life the best? He has places to climb, lots of toys, I play with him daily - rough play with toys and fetch games etc. He has windows he can watch outside with but lately he does sit by the door, probably to see where this place I keep going to is.

Any advice and tips will be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by marie73; 06-06-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

You've listed several reasons to keep him inside, why would you even consider letting him out? It wouldn't be worth the stress it would cause you or the danger Valentino would be exposed to. Cats are just fine staying in. It sounds like you have the toys and climbing covered, but I would watch the "rough" play. Maybe get him a couple of interactive toys he could amuse himself with when you're not around. My girls still like this one after years of owning it:

I think they used to have this one

You could put treats in this one for him to find

https://www.petsmart.com/cat/toys/el...es%20%7C%20Cat

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:02 AM
Kitten

If he was never an outdoor cat, he doesn't even know what he's missing so there's no reason for you to feel guilty. My always-inside cats enjoy looking out the window, especially if it's nice enough to open one ... one that has a secure screen, of course. They like to sniff over my gardening clothes, too, after I've been out. This way they get the sights and smells without the dangers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you! I just worry that I’m rubbish to him, even though he does get lots of fun and cuddles. He’s even got his own built in wardrobe where he can climb up onto the top shelf and look over the room - he has a scratching tower inside it and the door is always open. It’s right by the window too so he can look out! I’m sure he’s happy, I just get worried as I’ve never had an indoor only cat!

He’s very good with the rough play! He won’t ever do it on my hand unless I put on the “Hand Monster” glove (heavy duty!) so unless that’s on he doesn’t try and instigate. Taught him that from kitten though - when the glove goes on then it’s okay to play Hand Monster!

I play fetch with him daily with a new toy each time, so there is variety. I also have a drawer full of new toys he hasn’t used yet (Pets at Home must love me...)

I’ll get him some of those toys! He has a ball track which he loves so might get him additional!
Old 06-11-2019, 06:50 PM
Tom Cat

One additional thing you could do, if you aren't already, is to plant a pot of cat grass to keep in a sunny windowsill. It's usually oats and cats like to chew on it for it's digestive properties.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Cats love the boxes the toys come in more than the toys. I always have an empty box, or 32, that I throw toys in (ping pong balls are great), or turn sideways so they can hide and then jump out at you when you walk by. When I adopted the twins, they cared more about each other than me. Now I can't keep them off my lap. Sounds like you're doing everything right. He's one lucky cat.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:41 AM
Cool Cat

You are fortunate to have a cat who is happy indoors. Some are always eager to escape and it's a problem in some places - dangers lurk outdoors. Although I personally have always had indoor-outdoor cats, I'd not object at all to an indoor-only cat. In your situation, I'd leave well enough alone and just be grateful that Valentino is happy.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:30 PM
Kitten

If you have space in your yard, you put up an outdoor enclosure with potted plants and things to climb for him to enjoy the outdoors and still be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in