Cat doesn't like new furnitues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat doesn't like new furnitues

I've had my Bruce since he was 3mo, he has just turned 4 last month and in good health. Last year I bought a new cushion, and he peed on it when I left for work. Then I threw it away and bought a new cushion, and he did the same thing, peed on it. I also bought a new tatami thing so I can sit on the floor, he did the same thing again, peed on it......

I took him to the vet to check if he has any urinary illness, but the vet said he's in good health, he just didn't like the new furnitues. I asked so what am I supposed to do if I buy new furnitures, she said well, nothing, You're just gonna have to compromise.

I keep his litter box super clean, the house is clean, fresh food and water daily. He's the only cat in the house, and he's an indoor cat.

So now my sofa needs to be replaced because the springs are poking at the fabric. But I'm sure my cat will pee on it if I get a new sofa. I think anything fluffy and soft that takes up "his territory", he will pee on it. He was a neutered at 6mo and does not have a history of peeing outside the box. Unless I buy new furnitures.

Please give me some advice! I've been sitting on this broken sofa with springs poking at my bottoms. I would like to buy a new sofa without my cat peeing on it. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

PS: he also pees on any laundry that is left laying around. So if I finish a load of laundry and leave it on the sofa (to deal with later as I'm lazy), he would pee on the pile of clothes. Which forces me to keep the house tidy at all times which is good, but does that mean hes targeting soft fluffy things? Or hes confused and thought it's litter? Why does he do that?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:35 PM
Jr. Cat

Sounds like a behavioral problem.

You mentioned "his territory." Does Bruce have the run of the house/apartment? Is there a way you can keep him out of the living room? Or confine him to a single room with his litter box, until he learns to behave? Only let him out when you have time to watch him every minute. Get a can of compressed air and spray it if he even looks at the sofa or a pile of laundry. Or put some pebbles in a metal jar and shake it as needed. Supposedly cats don't like either of those sounds.

If that's not possible, here's what I'd do, for now. Take the sofa to an upholsterer and have the springs repaired. Tell them to close it up with the same fabric. Then buy a slipcover that's machine washable. Put a piece of heavy plastic (good quality dropcloth maybe) on the seat of the sofa under the slipcover. Then when Bruce pees on it, you can wash the cover and wipe down the plastic.

There's a Contech product called the Mini-scarecrow that might help keep him off the sofa, but it's out of stock right now at Amazon. I've used their Scarecrow water dispensing product outdoors and that worked pretty well.

Good luck! I have a cat like Bruce and he's now primarily an outdoor kitty. I allow him into the kitchen and laundry room occasionally where he can't do any serious damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I took him to the vet to check if he has any urinary illness, but the vet said he's in good health, he just didn't like the new furnitues. I asked so what am I supposed to do if I buy new furnitures, she said well, nothing, You're just gonna have to compromise.

That doesn't even make sense. Did she actually take a urine sample and send it to a lab or just gave him a once-over? I might try a different vet. He's displaying all the classic signs of a UTI. They prefer soft surfaces because they associate the pain of peeing with the litter box.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

He still pees in the litter box, a regular good amount. He only pees outside the box whenever I bring in a new piece of furniture. He never does it outside the box otherwise. Does that still seem like he has UTI?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

He has access to every corner of the house except for the kitchen. If I don't bring in any new furnitures, he is happy and behaves and pees only in the box. It's when I introduce something new that he "shows dominance" lol I havnt been able to buy any new furnitures for the past year because of this. I don't mind him on my sofa, I love to cuddle, as long as he doesn't pee on it. I will try the mini scarecrow

Last edited by marie73; 06-17-2019 at 12:41 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Well, it doesn't answer my question - did the vet take a urine sample?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:19 AM
Kitten

You might try taking something that Bruce sleeps on and rub in on the furniture to put his scent on it so he smells like itís his.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page