constant meowing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

constant meowing

Hey everyone

not sure this is the right forum, but the site wouldn't let me post everywhere else
I'm new here, and I recently adopted a sweet 3 year old (spayed) cat from a local shelter. She is very cuddly and always wants attention, and the nights are becoming worse and worse as the time goes on. She started with some light meowling, which we ignored, as everyone suggested. This progressed in her meowling more and more, to the point that now she meows for hours, starting around 5am and continuing until I wake up (around 7.30), almost without stopping and increasing in volume.
She has food, water, toys. If we let her into the room, she will not stay quiet either, and just try to wake us up in every possible way. I think she is awake at 5am, and wants us to be awake too, no matter the amount of time we ignore her. We live in an apartment, so having her making all this noise in the night is not good. Everyone says to ignore her, but it's only making the problem worse and worse. I don't know what to do anymore , the vet says she has no physical problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:01 PM
Premier Cat

Constant meowing

To Mizar83....Some suggestions

If you are at home during the day, don't let the cat sleep the day away, but play with her to keep her awake.
Restrict her food in late afternoon.
Before your bedtime, give her an active play session, using a wand toy, piece of cord and drag it around and up and over furniture until she tires of it.
Feed her evening meal after the play session.
Have her evening meal in a food puzzle, that will take her longer to eat then from a bowl/plate, and hopefully she will be tired enough to sleep past 5 am. If that doesn't work....
Have some food in a auto pet food dispenser/timer that will dispense some food a 5 or 6 am at short intervals. Amazon has a large selection at different prices.
Get an acquarium with some goldfish...it's like a TV for cats that can interest and entertain them.
Praise your cat when she is not meowing for attention with kind words and caresses.

Hope some of these suggestions will work, and we love updates.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page