Cat is always bored - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat is always bored

Hi all, I joined this forum looking for advice about my 4-year-old Rosie. Sorry in advance for the long rambling!

She is very attached to me, I still live with my mom and dad but she isn't super comfortable around them for some reason, she likes to just follow me around for most of the day, and I love her dearly.

Recently, she's been meowing at me a lot when I'm in my room working on the computer. When I get up to see what she wants, she'll usually jump on my bed and go to the nightstand where I keep her toys and catnip. But, when I get these out for her, she only plays with them half-heartedly, and sometimes not at all. Occasionally she'll go digging through the cupboard again even though I already have a toy out for her.

Here's the problem in simpler terms: it looks like she's bored, but doesn't particularly enjoy any of the activities I have to offer her.

Here's some of the things I keep around to entertain her with:
-A container of catnip, she particularly likes to play with the lid of it.
-A ribbon toy, which she used to like but now doesn't care for at all.
-A long fuzzy toy with a feathered ball on the end of it. For a while she'll seem to not care about it much, but attacks it quite energetically in short bursts.
-A laser pointer, which she has similar interactions with as the toy above
-A butterfly toy which she absolutely LOVED at first, and still loves it quite a bit now, but these toys are quite fragile and it'll usually only take 2 or 3 play sessions for her to rip a wing off.
-I also keep a few scratchers around the house, and she has a choice of several cat condos

Unfortunately, none of these things seem to satisfy her. Whenever I go to put her toys away after a play session, she reverts right back to the meowing behavior she had before playing, and won't leave me alone. The play sessions are around 10 minutes each - which I understand is probably not enough; not to excuse myself for this, but I've had serious motivation issues my whole life and I just get very antsy doing things that I have obligations to complete. I haven't been able to change this about myself but I want to do whatever it can to minimize its effects on my cat right now.
Here's another thing: she only does this when I'm sitting at my computer chair. When I go to other parts of the house, she'll follow me but won't bother me. She'll even enjoy exploring when I go in to less-visited rooms. Strangely, she even leaves me alone when I just go to lie on my bed with my laptop, which is only a few feet away from my chair.

If anyone has any theories about her behavior or suggestions for new activities to try with her, I would really appreciate it. I feel very bad that this is impacting my friendship with her and I want to do what I can to rectify it.

Last edited by marie73; 07-09-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

I think for now the answer's obvious. Stay off your chair at the computer, use your laptop, at least until she gets past whatever this is.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:27 PM
Jr. Cat

Do you spend long hours on the computer? Longer than on the laptop? If so, maybe she feels ignored. If you have room next to your computer, you might try setting your laptop there and playing one of the videos for cats that are on YouTube. A little pillow or towel for her to sit on while she watches would be nice, too.

Your cat is bound to become bored with any toy that's available regularly. Try rotating her favorites. After they've been out of sight for a few weeks, they might seem new and exciting again. I've found that moving my cat condo to a different room occasionally makes it especially appealing for a while. And draping a blanket over the condo changes it into a whole new kind of space.

Any cat-sized box that comes into our house is put into service as a cat hideout---just for a day or two---before it goes to recycling. Paper bags from the grocery store used to be popular with my cats, but they're hard to find now. Shopping bags work well as long as kitty can't get tangled in the handles.

You may find that this is a temporary problem. As she gets older, she'll probably be content to spend more time napping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
I think for now the answer's obvious. Stay off your chair at the computer, use your laptop, at least until she gets past whatever this is.
I guess, I do a lot of work on my laptop and on my computer chair is my biggest comfort zone but I'm willing to branch out a little more if it'll make her happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsinthegarden View Post
Do you spend long hours on the computer?
This jogged my memory about another thing she seems to like -- when I bring home a bag, or some papers, or anything just vaguely flat, I'll toss it on my bed and she'll be very content to just lie down on a new surface for a while. I bought a new jacket today and spread it across my bed, she hasn't bothered me a single time today. You might be on to something here.

Last edited by marie73; 07-09-2019 at 11:39 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:49 AM
Jr. Cat

I have a similar problem with my 3 year old male. I do a lot of stuff at my computer and he'll sit on the floor meowing and staring at me. I can't figure out what he wants. He has his favorite food, litter box is not full, he's not in any distress. He stops the meowing if I play with him but I can't play with him ALL the time. Plus, he has some toys which he now does not seem interested in anymore. Sometimes what I do is get out the laser pointer and he'll immediately go into hunter mode and I get him trying to hunt and catch it. But then its back to meow...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:37 PM
Kitten

I rotate toys so my boys will think they're new. I also give treat balls to keep them entertained. My 2 year old has learned to play by himself now with glitter pompoms and q-tips.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in