Leaving cat for first time - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Leaving cat for first time

Hi. I have a beautiful 12month old Russian Blue. He is a very social cat who is great with our many kids. We are leaving for a week but have arranged a cat sitter to come by 2x a day. The sitter is great but that doesn’t take the place of social interaction all day. I’m looking for tips, advice, best practices, (emotional support), for leaving my baby for the first time like this. I’m very worried about it being for a week. Am I going to ruin our cat? Will he be ok? Will there be long- term affects? He’s so social and fun now that I worry this trip will change him. Please send any words of wisdom. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

Fortunately, cats have no concept of time, so it's not like your cat will be tapping his watch, saying, "Seriously? Seven days?" He'll be fine. What I do is leave new toys with the cat sitter and she brings 1-2 by every day. Nothing fancy, sometimes just a cheap little mouse toy or ball. If you have any interactive toys that he can play with, that would be good to have on hand. I have this one:

https://www.chewy.com/petstages-towe...iABEgKzNfD_BwE

And this one:

https://www.chewy.com/bergan-star-ch...iABEgKcsfD_BwE

The thing most people regret about going on vacation is coming home and finding everything's okay and they spent all that time worrying for nothing. I was away for 3 weeks, but I knew my cats were in good hands. The sitter sent pictures and videos regularly. Have your sitter do that and it will help calm your worries.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Kitten

When we were away once, I set up a webcam so I could keep an eye on my cats. It worked real well until the power happened to go off. Back when we had a free-standing answering machine, I used to call and talk to them once in a while. I've no idea if they recognized my voice . . . my husband thought I was nuts. I wonder if leaving a radio on would be reassuring.

I think the most fun my cats had while I was gone was the time they found and played with a bird's nest that I had sitting up on a shelf. From the looks of the thing it had been used hard as a hockey puck.

Back when I had only one cat she used to follow us around complaining for a few days, after we got home. I think it's harder on "only" cats. The important thing is that you have a sitter willing to spend some time with your cat. You're probably going to worry regardless; I know I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Premier Cat

Whenever, hubby and I go away, we leave on a radio. Some people leave on the TV on the Aquarium channel, or other nature chanel. Our cat sitter also comes in twice a day to play with them with a wand toy for a while, and then feed them. They get canned food, and also some dry food that's put into a food puzzle some days. Also the dry food is spread throughout our house while the cats are eating their wet food, so that they have to search and find the pieces. They enjoy this. Don't do it every day, but vary it with food puzzles. The only thing I think our cats miss, is that I feed them a small lunch, and they don't get that. The Devons are very sociable and need some other companion animal, even the breeders will not sell one to you as an only pet. I think the Russian Blues are a little more independent, tho I'm sure will miss playing with the kids.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

I do leave my radio on when I'm on vacation. But I also turn on my radio while I'm at work every day, low volume, for white noise.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page