Cat Forum banner

Litter Box Problems

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Kittys Mom 
#1 ·
Hi I’m new to the forum and I’m desperately looking for answers. I have 2 female cats, they are 4 years old. I adopted them as kittens and they are from the same litter. Our one cat has started pooping outside the litter box. She is still urinating in the box.
I feel like I’ve tried everything. I took her to the vet. He did bloodwork and everything. Nothing medically is wrong. We have 4 litter boxes. All varying in size with and without hoods. I’ve tried different locations. Different litters. I’ve tried the attractant litter and the stuff you sprinkle. I have the plug in pheromones. Still everyday she goes on the floor. It can be in the same room as a litter box or our bedroom or our living room. We don’t yell at her or punish her. I can tell by her face she feels bad.
I thought the other cat might be bullying her but now I feel like it’s just a habit.
I am at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions are appreciated, I just don’t know how much longer we can continue this. It breaks my heart.

#2 ·
I'd try isolating her in a bathroom with a box that's lined with newspaper, but no litter in it. See if she'll use that. If she does, add some litter and see how that goes. (Maybe her sister interrupted her once too often while she was pooping.)

Does she strain a lot while pooping? If you think she might be constipated, try adding a few chia seeds to her wet food---maybe 1/4 teaspoon. Soak them first until they get sort of gelatinous.

If you haven't already, do a google search for the problem. I found several articles about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.