Mean Kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Mean Kitty

Hi everyone, its been a long while since I've been here. For those of you who remember me and Mystery, he's still doing well. Shadow, is no longer with me however.

Anyhow, I got a new kitten a few months ago. Mystery seemed lonely and I wanted him to have that bond again that he had with Shadow. It was rocky at first, he didn't want anything to do with her but now finally they are really close. She absolutely idolizes him and cries if he's out of sight. He plays with her often and she follows him wherever he goes. I'm so happy it worked out xD

However, I have moved recently into my cousin's place. She owns 2 female cats. Her cats dont even get along with each other and fight quite often so i keep my 2 in my room with me all day because I'm scared of a 4 way fight happening. They do okay, Mystery wants out and im trying to get them to tolerate each other bit by bit but its a very slow process since her cats bopped him on the head last time. Im not too worried about him, he isnt one to attack other cats. He's pretty tolerant and laid back, the most he does is hiss and growl. I am worried about them though because i've had to break up many fights between them since moving here. So im scared to let Speckles, the kitten anywhere out of the room.

Now. My sister moved to a new apartment and could not take her 2 cats with her right now because of the pet deposit fee. She needs time to save it. So i offered to take them for her. Its two males. Problem being, with my cousins cats and how they are, i now have to keep my sisters cats in my room with my 2. Its a small room, and 4 cats locked in here with me makes for some tension. Mystery is doing pretty well. He only gets hissy and growly with them if they try and come by me when he's laying on me, he gets jealous. Or if they try and get in his food bowl. And her cats are pretty laid back and scaredy so they dont actively seek out trouble and tend to avoid going near Mystery.

Now, my biggest problem. Speckles. She is only about 5 months old. She is still pretty small. She adores Mystery, and even is okay around the dogs when they visit in here. My cousin has a dog and so does my moy (grandma), when my cousin is at work i let her dog in my room so he isnt lonely. Speckles is fine with that.

However since these 2 cats have gotten here, she has started actively hunting them. She runs at them and hisses and swats at them then runs away. She growls at them constantly, and has even hissed at Mystery once when he went near her until she realized it was him. Its only been a few days so i know theres time, but she seems to hate any other cat thats not Mystery and im at a loss as to why considering he is the only cat she's ever been around since her siblings and mama cat. Ive had her since she was 8 weeks. They havent hissed, growled or even swatted at her once, they stay away from her mostly. She actively goes after them, even when they are asleep. She is my first female cat i've owned, and the first since Mystery and Shadow in a long while. Mystery is 9 now and ive had him 8 years, he's always been very laid back. She is nothing like him personality wise and is very spunky and hostile to the others. I cant really separate them, we have no extra rooms so theyre stuck in here with me. And this behavior is making me even more worried about letting her leave the room because these cats dont fight her back when she goes after them but my cousins cats will and i dont want her getting hurt. She is half their size. Should i just keep waiting and watching, or is there any way i can speed up her accepting them? I had hoped if she had seen Mystery was okay with them she would start to calm down but she hasn't. I even try giving them treats near each other and i feed them by each other with a box as a barrier so they cant see one another so they get used to each others scents.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance
Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

Last edited by marie73; 07-29-2019 at 04:06 PM. Reason: removed pictures, too large
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:59 PM
Kitten

Are all these cats spayed/neutered? That helps with aggression. And you have way too much going on in such a small space and have pushed your laid back cats to the breaking point. They are way too stressed. If your cousin wants to keep 2 cats that hate each other, she needs to be doing something to prevent the fighting.

I used to have to rotate my foster animals with my animals so no one had to live in a box. Cats need all kinds of stuff like hides, towers, tunnels and hunting type toys so they can relieve their frustration and stress. You probably shouldn't be bringing a dog into the only space these cats have. They might look like they tolerate it, but they are obviously overwhelmed and things will just keep escalating just like your cousins cats have already done. They all need their own territory to feel safe.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

All of the boys are neutered. And my cousin's 2 are spayed. Only one who isnt spayed is Speckles since she's still young and currently i dont have the money.

My cousin goes to college and works so is hardly home to work with her cats right now so ive been taking steps to get them to get along better its just a process. I do have a cat tree in the room for them and lots of toys and i play with them daily xD

I know its a small space for that many cats but it isnt permanent. Once i get my place fixed up where its safe to live in theyll have the run of the house and all. I dont have any way to rotate them, currently what with the other 2 cats. I am working on getting my cousins cats to be better behaved around each other so i can maybe start introducing mine one at a time, but with how hostile the kitten is to new cats im scared to try. She doesnt bother sniffing or attempting to give the others a chance, she simply attacks. I dont know if its simply a kitten thing, since she is so young, or a female cat thing since ive only ever owned males and theyve always been pretty calm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:23 PM
Kitten

I don't know if pheromones work on very young cats, but you might want to try Feliway and see if it helps. There's a multi-cat version that is supposed to have a calming effect. I suggest that you get it in spray form. (The plug-in diffuser sounds wonderful, but it's more expensive and the one I got burned out pretty quickly. I was left with a bunch of refills and no way to use them.)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Oh hey, thanks! I will look into that xD i tried cat nip and that didnt help LOL Speckles got more wild i will give feliway a chance xD

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:05 AM
Premier Cat

Speckles' hormones are getting active....some female kittens come into heat at 5-6 mos., so that is likely why she is being so aggressive. Search in your area for a low-cost spay/neuter clinic, or ask your local shelter. Get her spayed as soon as possible. Engage her in play with a wand toy or a dragging around a cord in a snakelike fashion until she's tired. Active play will help get rid of some of her aggression.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks! I would love to get her spayed but currently am fighting for disability and have no income, so it will be a bit more before i can. I do play with her actively though throughout the day. I will try switching up her play sessions maybe. And as soon as i can afford to get her spayed i will. That explains the aggression though then, i didnt think i had to worry about that until she hit 6 months. Thanks so much xD

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 11:33 AM
Premier Cat

There are some low-cost spay/neuter clinics available in most cities or towns. In Toronto I know they have a free one at least once a year, other cities may have the same. Here's links that may be helpful in finding one:

https://www.neighborhoodcats.org/res...-neuter-clinic

https://petsmartcharities.org/adopt-a-pet/spay-neuter

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 07-31-2019 at 11:35 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks xD i will have to check them out, if they have free ones. I have absolutely no money right now while im fighting for disability

The cats are doing well now! Speckles has stopped attacking and now i've caught the other 2 cats playing with her several times now. Nomore hissing and they all sleep in my bed together so they have integrated pretty well thankfully.

Im still working on introducing mine to my cousin's so maybe the cats can have the run of the house instead of just my room but last attempt didn't go well. Her cat chased Mystery down and tried to attack him, we had to get between them so i've been scared to try again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page