Should I adopt a cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Should I adopt a cat?

I've always had 2 or more cats. I think cats like having a housemate, even if they don't get along.

We are down to one cat. She is a 14-year-old Siamese. If you heard that Siamese are one-person cats, you would be right. She has been my cat for the last 14 years, but does seem to be trying to branch out after the more gregarious, playful, friendly family cat passed earlier this year. She is meowing at the children (ages 13 and 17) and lets them pick her up, but she does not cuddle and play like the departed tabby did.

I thought I would get an older cat, somewhat quiet, with a similar temperament. My heart is not ready to take on the burden of another older, sickly cat again. My house isn't ready. I don't even think it would be good for resident Siamese, as she is a follower, an empath, who absorbs the feel of the house.

We need some playful, fun energy. This is the opportunity for my 13 year old son to experience a young, playful cat. He has only known old and dying cats. (We had 3 cats at one time.)

The rescues discourage me from getting a young cat. They say I need two or the older resident cat will be miserable. I feel so unprepared for two cats at once. Would it really be easier? Should I just wait until the resident cat passes (which could be 5 years or more, as she is healthy)? It would be too late for my sons to see kittens in their lives, unless they are cat owners in adulthood.

Opinions needed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Cat

A side note would be that resident cat is not bothered by other cats. She has always been one of multiple cats, and is super laid back when it comes to animals. (She does hate people). Outside cats often come visit my back patio. It used to make the tabby cat crazy and hissy. My Siamese cat just placidly watches the cat outside the window.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:42 PM
Jr. Cat

This is just my opinion, what I'd probably do in your situation: Adopt 2 fairly young cats that know each other and get along well. How young would depend on what you and your son want and are able to cope with, keeping in mind that the younger the cats, the more energetic and more destructive they'll be. (And more fun!)

If they know each other already and are the same age, the young cats will probably focus more on each other than your Siamese, which may make it easier for her to adjust to their presence.

I'd be inclined to get two male cats, too, because your Siamese may feel less threatened by them than she would cats of the same sex as she is . . . though it sounds like that will probably not be an issue. Also, my experience has been that, once neutered, male cats make lovely, affectionate pets. YMMV, of course!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks, cats in the garden. That seems to be the consensus among the rescues as well.

Having one cat is so simple....and having three seems so busy! But it would probably bring the joy we are all needing.

Jill
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Premier Cat

Since your Siamese is chill with seeing neighbor cats, my suggestion is a shelter male adult cat that has similar personality and if possible a cat you can foster to see if itís compatible with your Siamese. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in