Cat Forum banner

Indoor cat wants to be outside

706 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  catloverami 
#1 ·
My 6 year old Cornish Rex has been indoor her whole life, and has seemed fairly content at this until she was accidentally let out by a relative 6 months ago.
She was outside for around 20 minutes and hid behind the wheelie bin by the front door which is where I found her.
Ever since this time she meows incessantly at the back door day and night, pawing at it as if she’s desperate to get out.
I thought ignoring her would help, but she has since managed to run between my legs to get outside for a few seconds which seems to have made her even more determined.

My thoughts are she is too old to now become an outside cat, she’s also tiny (3kg) and we live by a main road and with other big cats in the street. So safety wise it wouldn’t be a good idea.

Should I consider some kind of outside enclosure, or cat proof the garden with those mesh things that fix to the fence?

I hate that she seems so unhappy being stuck inside and have no idea what to do to help this.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
There's an old song that goes something like "how ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Pareee". Well, the outdoors for your Cornish Rex is like Paree! He's not likely to be happy to be indoors now. My Devon, Zuba, once got out when a visitor opened the door....fortunately it was winter and he didn't go far away and my husband found him shivering behind a bush. I do take my Devons in a cat stroller during warm days from late spring to fall, and they enjoy it---something you might consider. I think your Cornish would enjoy an outdoor enclosed "catio". I don't know whether those "mesh things" that go on a fence would deter a Cornish, as you know how active they are and love to climb. One of my Devons is a climber, but the other isn't. But I couldn't trust either of my Devons to ignore climbing a fence. All the best!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.