How do I tell when my cat is ready for another cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

How do I tell when my cat is ready for another cat?

One of my cats died last month. We are all broken hearted, including our surviving cat. He's become quite clingy and doesn't bounce around like he normally does.

Our surviving cat, Midway, well he's strange. He has never met another cat that isn't (in his mind) a new friend. His whole body displays friendly and he will try to approach with a question mark tail. It doesn't matter if it's their territory, neutral territory, or (one time) stranger in his kitchen. Everyone is a friend and new playmate, even if they need some persuading (like a good game of chase). Needless to say, it doesn't usually end well and then he gets the same puzzled face and body movements like when the red dot disappears and he can't figure out where it went.

So I think he likely will need a buddy far sooner than a typical cat will. My husband isn't ready, I'm not even though I'm fighting the urge to kidnap every cat I see and teach them to sleep on my pillow at night like Montressor did, but we also have to think about his needs, especially as he's usually alone quite a few hours in the day since we all work.

How do I know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

To be honest, I'm not sure another cat would be ready for Midway. He's seems a bit aggressive from reading your other posts. I think he might be too rough with a kitten, and an adult cat wouldn't find his roughness one bit amusing. I would say, if you have your heart on getting another cat, I might look around for a youngster about a year old who himself is a bit rambunctious and could stand up for himself.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sorry, he's 13. He never acted like it until now.

Probably a younger cat, yeah. I want to find an old cat, just to rescue a cat that no one else wants, but too old and Midway will likely be too rough.

I don't know that magic cat age though. May, before Montressor's 20 year old immune system caught up with him, the vet said he'd not have known Montressor was 20 because of how good he looked. Three years ago, it was the same, my baby Shadow died 2 years ago at 20, the checkup she had several months before the vet said she wouldn't have thought Shadow a 19 year old cat because she was good weight, good appearance. I don't know when the typical cat is too old to enjoy a play buddy and should instead have a cuddle buddy. I haven't had a different cat in 22-23 years.

That is one thing, after Shadow died Midway slumped into a depression for several weeks and was more redirected aggression after, less likely to listen to a feline no with his play aggression. The vet that saw him wasn't surprised, compared it to a young child whose sibling died and had a personality change after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:17 PM
Premier Cat

My suggestion is that Midway would likely be compatible with a cat about one year old, more or less. If you can find a shelter cat that has a similar "never met a cat I didn't like" personality would be best. Some shelters may allow you to foster a cat to try out as a companion. I would be more inclined to seek once sooner than later before he gets too settled as a single cat. Playful cats take one out of a depressive state quickly. I still miss my "Alkee" who died 3 yrs. ago, but I believe I will see her again in the spiritual world, as she came back to me in spirit after she died.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in