Clumping Or Non-clumping Litter? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Clumping Or Non-clumping Litter?

I've recently adopted two kittens which now makes me a four cat household.

I've been using the non-clumping cat litter (the pink one from pets at home, 30-liter size) and I'm thinking about possibly changing. the cats now have pink paws and there's a bit of dust, although none are ever dust free.

I personally don't like the wood pellets. I've heard about the clumping cat litter but the one I tried (from Aldi) I didn't particularly like. To be honest I didn't really know what to expect from it.

I've read about 'the worlds best cat litter' (clumping) and it has fantastic reviews, but it's pricey. Although I don't mind paying extra if it's going to last and do a good job.

Having four cats now means I'm cleaning the litter trays out twice a day and a full change about every three days. I've been using less litter in each tray to try and stretch the cost out.

So, I'm after advice on the best cat litter and perhaps I should change to the clumping type?

cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

I've always used clumping litter. I use Tidy Cats 24/7. No need to do a full change, either.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:28 PM
Jr. Cat

I've been using World's Best Cat Litter (multi-cat type) for a couple of months. It clumps really well, and doesn't track around as much as regular litter--at least not until it starts breaking down. When the pellets start looking like fine sawdust and you find dust right outside the box, it's time to toss it all, Then clean the box and refill it with new litter. The only thing I don't like about it is the smell. To me it smells like really bad coffee. My fostered mom-cat and her 5 kittens didn't seem to mind it at all. It's made life in the kitten nursery much nicer!

I haven't switched my own cat over to it because her box is out on a porch and not much of her litter gets into the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:05 PM
Kitten

I prefer crystal litter over clumping litter. There's less to scoop with crystal litter. And crystal litter is lighter weight than the clumping litter. I love the Vibrance crystal litter that Walmart sells. It's perfume and dye-free. And since I am now a 7 cat family since my brother passed away and I inherited his 3 cats, I have started using cat box liners. I put a puppy pad in the bottom of the litter box and then the liner in and then add the litter. It takes less than a minute to replace the litter every week in the four cat boxes I have set up. I use 10 gallon rubber maid storage totes as my litter boxes because they're nice and deep and very large so my very large cats have room to turn around. I cut the top off the lid, leaving the clasping part of the lid so I have a 'collar' to hold the liner in place.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:05 PM
Kitten

I use Arm & Hammer Double Duty for our two cats. No smell, fairly hard clumps. I scoop once a day, add some litter every other day-ish, and change the litter once every few weeks when it starts to get more dark gray than light gray.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:16 AM
Jr. Cat

I use clumping litter too for my one cat, but the one thing about it that I don't like is when he pees against the side of the box and it forms a clump the clump tends to stick to the plastic box so that getting it off with the scooper can break the clump and I have to pick out little bits and my scooper gets dirty. How can I avoid that? Other than that, the Tidy Cats 24/7 is good.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:50 AM
Kitten

Worlds Best is amazing, but quite expensive. I used Cats Best (I get it from Amazon) which clumps nicely but isnt anything like as expensive. I have never gotten used to the non clumping kind but I think it depends on what your cat prefers really. My previous cats used pretty much anything but Lukas is quite fussy (over everything - such a picky little monster).

Ali and Lukas
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:31 AM
Premier Cat

I've used both the non-clumping, clumping, newspaper, and prefer the clumping litter. To FatCat....For my 2 cats I have 2 plastic litter boxes (upstairs and downstairs) and I have found with some clumping litter urine will stick to the bottom of the box, and as you say very difficult to get off and yes I've broken a litter scoop trying to get it off. I scoop twice a day, and find that I don't have to completely refill the box, maybe once a month, but keept adding fresh litter every couple of days. With the clumping litter that sticks to the bottom, I've found that the addition of some Arm & Hammer backing soda corrects that problem. I've found with the non-clumping litter that the box needs scooping more often.....as what happens is the urine clump dries out and then can't be removed by the scooping. My cats didn't like the newspaper pellets. Both of my cats have done their pee and poo in the bathtub.....not because the litter box is dirty, but that they discovered it was "easier" and didn't have to cover up. One of them even peed in the sink one day right in front of me. So now I have to keep the bathroom door closed, altho an alternative woud be having a little water in the tub. But then they might just go on the tile floor! which I definitely would not like as it would stain the grout. Have to try and keep one step ahead of them.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 09-15-2019 at 11:36 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 12:58 AM
Cat

I use clumping litter, Tidy Cat, the red one in the Lightweight category.

It does stick to their paws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page