Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clumping Or Non-clumping Litter?

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  marie73 
#1 ·
I've recently adopted two kittens which now makes me a four cat household.

I've been using the non-clumping cat litter (the pink one from pets at home, 30-liter size) and I'm thinking about possibly changing. the cats now have pink paws and there's a bit of dust, although none are ever dust free.

I personally don't like the wood pellets. I've heard about the clumping cat litter but the one I tried (from Aldi) I didn't particularly like. To be honest I didn't really know what to expect from it.

I've read about 'the worlds best cat litter' (clumping) and it has fantastic reviews, but it's pricey. Although I don't mind paying extra if it's going to last and do a good job.

Having four cats now means I'm cleaning the litter trays out twice a day and a full change about every three days. I've been using less litter in each tray to try and stretch the cost out.

So, I'm after advice on the best cat litter and perhaps I should change to the clumping type?

cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
I've always used clumping litter. I use Tidy Cats 24/7. No need to do a full change, either.

#3 ·
I've been using World's Best Cat Litter (multi-cat type) for a couple of months. It clumps really well, and doesn't track around as much as regular litter--at least not until it starts breaking down. When the pellets start looking like fine sawdust and you find dust right outside the box, it's time to toss it all, Then clean the box and refill it with new litter. The only thing I don't like about it is the smell. To me it smells like really bad coffee. My fostered mom-cat and her 5 kittens didn't seem to mind it at all. It's made life in the kitten nursery much nicer!

I haven't switched my own cat over to it because her box is out on a porch and not much of her litter gets into the house.

#4 ·
I prefer crystal litter over clumping litter. There's less to scoop with crystal litter. And crystal litter is lighter weight than the clumping litter. I love the Vibrance crystal litter that Walmart sells. It's perfume and dye-free. And since I am now a 7 cat family since my brother passed away and I inherited his 3 cats, I have started using cat box liners. I put a puppy pad in the bottom of the litter box and then the liner in and then add the litter. It takes less than a minute to replace the litter every week in the four cat boxes I have set up. I use 10 gallon rubber maid storage totes as my litter boxes because they're nice and deep and very large so my very large cats have room to turn around. I cut the top off the lid, leaving the clasping part of the lid so I have a 'collar' to hold the liner in place.

#6 ·
I use clumping litter too for my one cat, but the one thing about it that I don't like is when he pees against the side of the box and it forms a clump the clump tends to stick to the plastic box so that getting it off with the scooper can break the clump and I have to pick out little bits and my scooper gets dirty. How can I avoid that? Other than that, the Tidy Cats 24/7 is good.

#7 ·
Worlds Best is amazing, but quite expensive. I used Cats Best (I get it from Amazon) which clumps nicely but isnt anything like as expensive. I have never gotten used to the non clumping kind but I think it depends on what your cat prefers really. My previous cats used pretty much anything but Lukas is quite fussy (over everything - such a picky little monster).

#8 · (Edited)
I've used both the non-clumping, clumping, newspaper, and prefer the clumping litter. To FatCat....For my 2 cats I have 2 plastic litter boxes (upstairs and downstairs) and I have found with some clumping litter urine will stick to the bottom of the box, and as you say very difficult to get off and yes I've broken a litter scoop trying to get it off. I scoop twice a day, and find that I don't have to completely refill the box, maybe once a month, but keept adding fresh litter every couple of days. With the clumping litter that sticks to the bottom, I've found that the addition of some Arm & Hammer backing soda corrects that problem. I've found with the non-clumping litter that the box needs scooping more often.....as what happens is the urine clump dries out and then can't be removed by the scooping. My cats didn't like the newspaper pellets. Both of my cats have done their pee and poo in the bathtub.....not because the litter box is dirty, but that they discovered it was "easier" and didn't have to cover up. One of them even peed in the sink one day right in front of me. So now I have to keep the bathroom door closed, altho an alternative woud be having a little water in the tub. But then they might just go on the tile floor! which I definitely would not like as it would stain the grout. Have to try and keep one step ahead of them. :)

#10 ·
Just added my friend Buddy to my life and am using Kitty Diggins. It is very affordable, low tracking with no perfumes or dyes. You can get it at Walmart and he took right to it. It's non clumping and if smell becomes an issue- me & Bud are bachelors and we don't notice any you can add a little baking powder for that.

If I had 4 cats I would give it a try!

#11 ·
I have been using World's Best and I like it a lot but one of my cats is not using it so I bought a finer clumping litter. Now both the cats want the cheaper finer litter but it gets everywhere. Especially since one of the cats digs a hole to china and the litter goes everywhere. Does anyone have a solution to this?

#12 ·
I've moved to China. Found all the litter! I'll never have to buy more again. Thanks! :smile2:

My girls' litter box sits inside a BIG cardboard box, leftover from moving, lots of room on top for them to go in and out. The litter they scatter stays in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.