Cat Forum banner

Just moved and need advice cat who wants outside

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  smoda61 
#1 ·
Hello... My name is Monica. I am looking for some advice. We just recently moved from a place with a large field for our cat into a smaller lot on a busy street.

Let me tell you a bit about my Boots.. He is a rescue cat. About 8 years old now. When we got him he had been an outdoor cat. I had tried and tried to keep him inside but I couldn’t. He is like a watch dog for our family and our small dog. He is a hunter and a very active cat! It was ok before because we lived in an area where he could roam but now we live on a busy street out front and a housing community in back. We are afraid to let him out but he is NOT happy! He cries and cries to go out. I know he is ready to get out and check the area and sharpen his claws on some trees. I’ve considered leash training. I am just so scared of the street. Any advice would be appreciated he is like a child to our family!

#2 ·
You're right not to let him out, too dangerous. If you don't already have some, I would get a couple of tall cat trees and put them near windows so Boots can watch the world happening outside. It keeps my girls occupied for hours. Maybe some interactive toys that he can play with by himself. I've even hung hummingbird feeders outside windows for my girls to watch. You may get some advice about leash training, but I've heard from friends that it may backfire, he may want to go out on the leash ALL the time, and you're back where you started. Good luck, I know the transition from outside to inside is a challenge.

#3 ·
Do you have the space in the back to build him an enclosed catico? There are lots and lots of really cool ideas on pinterest to get you started if you have the space. Even better if you could include a tree that he could climb or create a cat tree for him to climb and put in some cat grass and cat nip for him to nibble and some plants for shade. He'd probably be quite happy there.

#4 ·
Catio and leash training are good suggestions. Though if street is too busy he may not like it walking om a leash. I've used a cat stroller for many years, and my cats enjoy the "walkies". They're safely zipped inside the net covering and enjoy following familiar routes, as it give them a sense of patrolling a territory, even tho they aren't "marking" it. They are kept safe from dogs and too inquisitive children, and enjoy seeing birds, squirrels and enjoying all the different scents outside. and the admiration of strangers.

#8 ·
Harry's previous owner (now deceased) likely let our Harry be an indoor outdoor cat. He was cranky about this change. We walk Harry and Han twice a day about 30+ minute each time. We also do own a stroller but they prefer the walks. Also during the months with reasonable weather we also have a mesh cat tent with tunnel access from the house set up. Our version of a catio. The boys spend lots of time out there. We set up bird and critter feeders around the tent so there it lots to look at. Also, if you opt to try leash walking, then you want a good safe harness. I have tried a few with varied success on different cats. My current favorite is sold on Etsy. The company is in England. The name is something like Butterfly Cat Jackets. If you put them on appropriately tight (ie nice and tight), they are very secure. The only time I have had a cat escape that harness is if I let the cat pull backwards. If you let them do that, they will drop their head and pull out of the harness. When they go backwards, give them slack on the leash. Without tension, they will not get out of the harness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.