Cat Forum banner

amount of sleep

735 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  eldercat 
#1 ·
Had dogs all my life but after death of my last dog I said "Enough". Had absolutely no contact with cats but my niece insisted I adopt 2 of hers, brother & sister, as she had to find a new home for them. I found that cats are much more independent from dogs. It took 3 weeks for the female to make contact with me. Her brother 2 days. I've had them 5 yrs now & am still asking & learning. Unfortunately, 5 days I had to put Freckles, the female, down. Thankfully, she wasn't sick long & I learned from all my dogs when the body is just shutting down.

I'm from MA and can't believe at my very advanced age I'm still involved with pets. I guess this is what keeps me going. I should say all who come to my house can't believe the amount of cat things I have. Not knowing what cats need I made Amazon rich with different size trees, scratchers, etc.

I just have 1 question now. I know I'll have a lot more later which is why I'm still learning. Do all cats sleep most of the day or do I just have a lazy one who comes to life well after dark? His sister was a lot more active compared to him so is it a male thing?

This is a long posting and I thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Basically, yes, cats sleep a lot. Their level of activity is an individual thing. My girls are more active in the evening, because I'm home. And sometimes, late at night, either of them can ramp up to rocketbutt mode in an instant. Which is fun to watch. Especially on tile floors.

#3 ·
It depends....There are some breeds of cats that are more lively and awake during the day than others. Generally speaking I would say Domestic cats do sleep more during the day. Some breeds like Siamese, Abyssinians, Bengels, Devon and Cornish Rexes are more active. My two Devons are usually awake if I'm awake, and if I take a nap in the late afternoon, they will nap with me. My older one Zuba who's almost 15 naps in the afternoon more often than Fitty who's 4 yrs. Some cats just have a temperament and body that needs more sleep, like people. Congratulations on being a new cat owner. :smile2:

#4 ·
In my experience, most cats will sleep most of the time - except for about 5 AM, sometimes 4 AM, when they are eager for me to arise and feed them breakfast.

I guess there is a good side to this: they say it is better for us to get up early - the early bird, early to bed & early to rise, etc. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.