Cat Forum banner

cat acting out, relocation advice

751 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  marie73 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am not sure if this is the right section to post in since I am brand new to this but I need advice for my kitty! Backstory- I got my cat Marie in January of 2018. She had previously been an only cat and the owner was rehoming her because she was moving. The old owner said she would be fine with other cats. It took what seemed like a long time for her to warm up to our other cats and come out of hiding. She did not get along with one in particular and this led to a stress induced urinary tract infection last November and she was peeing everywhere but the litter box. She started a uti dry food and I started giving her wet food specific for urinary tract health. At this time, I also began keeping the door shut on her safe room so no other cats could get to her. Fast forward and after months of being fine in what I call solitary confinement, she is now starting to act funny again, digging and going to her litter box frequently but not using it/peeing more than once a day, meowing when she is peeing and she runs around like a crazy cat. This started after I returned from a vacation which disrupted her schedule I am sure. I love her to pieces but I am afraid she is going to start peeing all over again and I really do not want her to have kidney damage.

My fiancé has recently moved into the home that we plan to live in together after we get married next fall. I am not living with him until we are married. Marie is attached at the hip to me and she is a little nervous around my fiancé until he starts petting or brushing her, then she is fine. I am not sure if I should continue to keep her locked up in my room where I am living and try to find more stimulation for her, or if I should go ahead and move her to the new house now without me so she can have a whole house to play in. I am not sure which would be more stressful. I am going to stay once in a while at the new house but I would not be there consistently. I hate to think of not having her sleep with me every night, but I am just wanting to do what would be best for her. Please help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you have her tested by a vet for the original UTI? She may need medication to get rid of this one. UTI's don't resolve without meds.

I think having her live with and bond with your fiancé might be good for her. She sounds like she would love to be the only cat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.