Cat Forum banner

one cat with inappropriate peeing issues and one very vocal cat

793 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  catloverami 
#1 ·
hello, I am a new member and I guess my reason for joining is needing someone to talk with regarding my aging kitties. I have two very sweet Manx boys who will be 16 years old on their next birthdays - January for Murphy and March for Morrie.

I am a widow of 4 1/2 years, no children, no siblings and except for a few cousins and friends the kitties and I are alone. My husband and I got our first cat, Oscar, in 1972, a very lovable boy who lived to be almost 17 years old. We picked out our second one 5 months or so after Oscar's passing. His name was Calvin and he was a few weeks away from being 15 at his passing. 3 months later we took the plunge to bring TWO cats into our home and hearts, Murphy and Morrie that I mentioned above. My husband and I shared duties of taking care of the cats. Our cats are always indoor cats and that means litter boxes (3 currently) and of course everything else that goes with taking care of two very spoiled big kitties! Then 4 1/2 years ago my husband had gotten up early to feed the cats as he always did, being the early riser. I heard a loud crash in the kitchen and by the time I got there he was already gone. Unexpected and sudden. I was left alone.

The cats were a comfort, sleeping next to me at night and their company. Now, they are getting older, (as am I), and I am finding it increasingly hard to deal with them. Murphy started peeing outside the litter box at random times and his choice was either the back of the couch, or on the bed. I did take him to the vet and all was well - he had a full checkup including ultrasound. The peeing is random with no pattern. I have tried to keep a record. I have put him through courses of antibiotics a couple of times in case there was an infection. I added the 3rd litter box (by the couch where he seemed to want to go) and sometimes we go for months with no incident, sometimes it is twice in a day. I use Angry Orange to clean anything that the pee gets on. Some nights I am up at 3 or 4 a.m. completely changing the bed, (have also invested in waterproof mattress pads), and washing everything including the comforter.

Meanwhile, Morrie has become very vocal. At night. He can vocalize at the top of his voice non-stop until he gets his way. Whatever it may be. And yes, he has been to the vet for a full checkup too. Needless to say, I do not get a full nights sleep between the two of them. There is no closing the bedroom door to keep them out. They would stand at it, cry, scratch, whatever until I let them in.

As I said, they are very loving, sweet boys but I am just about to get to the end of my rope with them. I don't know what to do. I feel guilty, but I just want to sleep. Has anyone else gone through this with their pets?

Thanks so much for listening.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thank you for your wonnderful stories of your pets over the years. So sorry to her of your husband's very unexpected passing. Manx cats are wonderful, very doglike in their personalities....I bred Manx for 18 yrs. The peeing to me sounds like it may be a way that Murphy is showing that he misses your husband. Have you tried "Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter". I found it worked for me when one of my cats started not peeing in his litter box. Eventually I was able to just sprinkle a litter on the surface of regular litter. As far as the night vocalization is concerned, this isn't unusual for elderly cats and quite a few start doing this in their later years. Do you have another room with a door that is the most distant from your bedroom that you can set up as their bedroom? Get them into a rountine, with a small snack, of going to this room every night just before you go to bed. Have 1 or 2 litter boxes in the room in different locations, with some water, and some cat beds or blankets for beds, off the floor, and onto a large chair or small sofa. Then get some ear plugs and put them in yourears, and go to bed. Take some Bach Rescue Remedy for relaxation and hopefully you will get a good uninterrupted sleep. Sweet dreams! :) Give us an update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.