my cat won't stop from 5am - 11am EVERY DAY - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

my cat won't stop from 5am - 11am EVERY DAY

My cat is 2 years old and every night at around 5 am, he starts to scratch on the basement door, which is located in my room in my apt. He does this loudly for long periods of time until i WAKE up and let him downstairs... only for him to return 15 min later, and 5 min later want to go back down again. He does this from around 5am until 11am, over and over again. It's really irritating because i can't sleep at night.

I tried putting things in front of the door so he doesnt scratch- but crawls under or around or scratches on the stuff i JUST PUT IN FRONT of the door.... I've tried "cat repellant" that you spray around areas that you dont want your cat to go near. After about 10 min, he goes back anyway. I tried warning him with a firm "NO," and then if he scratches again, spraying him with a bit of water and saying NO again. But he just returns. I tried locking him out of the room, but he just scratches at the door.

HELP!!!! what do i do!??!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 03:44 AM

Have you thought about just leaving the door open and let him wander in and out whenever he wants? Is it safe for him down there.....if so I would indulge his curiosity. You could also get him some toys, like mice, balls etc that don't make much noise that will keep him occupied when he's feeling restless. Good luck and let me know what happens.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 01:36 PM

Yeah, just let him in there. Otherwise you could try to ignore him until he figures he can't go downstairs. If you get up and let him in everytime he scratches well then he's going to learn that scratching means you come and open the door. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

i cant leave the door open

i cant leave the door open to the basement because there is another door about 1 foot from this door that leads to outside, and there is a huge hole in the bottom where cold air gets in... so if i leave the door open, my apt will be 40 degrees all the time...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 06:10 PM

Oh Well I'd either just try to ignore him which I know will be hard and annoying at night until he gives up with trying to go in there or you could give him things to do at night like with toys and such. Give him something to keep him busy.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice, guys... its hard to ignore him, he's soooo loud!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 09:19 PM

my idea

someone told me to use vinegar in a spray bottle, they remember this alot longer than water in the face.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

vinigar?

isnt vinigar bad for them? can it hurt their eyes??
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 09:26 PM

exactly my friend, exactly
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Cat Addict

correct do not spray your cats with vinegar

Kittliness is giving out bad advice and telling some bad stories. Kittliness give it a rest.

Visit The Animal Rescue Site at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
feed an abandoned or abused animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page