Not taking medication - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Not taking medication

I have a problem. My cat, Newton, will not take medication. I mean, its not even possible. He kicks and scratches and even bits! I have to get him a pill for medication, but he wont let me do it. Any suggestions or techniques?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 01:23 PM

Giving a cat a pill can be **** I know. But I've learned some techniques, having four cats and all. To make things a lot easier, get a friend to help you out. It can make all the difference. Get your friend to hold your kitty's front legs and chest from behind. You can use a towel or blanket and wrap it around your cat, which can also help him not to struggle. Place your hand on top of the kitty's head, keeping your hand away from his mouth(nothing hurts more then getting bit by a cat). Raise your cat's head so his nose is pointing up to the ceiling. Use your other hand to hold the pill. When your cats mouth opens, place the pill as far back on the tongue as you can. Then close your kittys mouth. If your cat doesn't swallow the pill on his own, try rubbing you cats nose, which can make him lick it and force him to swallow. After your all finished, be careful letting him go, he might be alittle angry
I hope this helped!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 07:17 PM

Maybe you could ask your vet if the pill can be cut up or crushed into food. This way you are not forcing your kitty, just tricking him. Maybe put the pill in tuna???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 05:25 PM

I have been through the experience of giving cats pills, and I may have a few alternatives. Pill-giving was impossible for one of my cats, so my vet put the pill in liquid form. Additionally, I was told that pills can actually be turned into a cream that you can rub in their ear. However, this may depend on the type of medication. I hope that this may help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page