kittens from different litter and age - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

kittens from different litter and age

hello all

I am about to adopt two sweet babies, however I am a little concerned. One was born around a week ago, and the other one is already three months old. I want to minimise any chance of small quarrels between them during the first months, mainly due to the youth of the first one. Do you think thats possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 07:43 AM

Why are you adopting a one-week-old kitten? That’s too young. They should be with their mother for at least seven weeks. Are you planning on feeding it with a bottle?

Under no circumstances, would I suggest putting together a one week old with a three month old. Even if they aren't fighting, the three month old will seriously hurt the younger kitten playing. Disease can be spread to the one week old because he/she has no immunity.

If this kitten is with its mother now, please leave him/her until it's old enough to leave her.

P.S.
If I misunderstand your post, and the kitten is now older then one week, supervision is still need as a three month old could hurt a younger kitten with rough play.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 08:09 AM

kitten too young !!!

A one week old kitten is much to young to take from it's mother....unless it was left behind or the mother killed. If so this ktten will need to be fed by a bottle for the next four weeks or so. If this is the case that it needed to be taken then it should be kept away from all other cats till it is much older...perhaps seven weeks or so. A one week old has no ammunity (sp.?) against other sicknesses which being in contact with other cats could cause. Once the kitten is about seven weeks old it can be around other cats/kittens, but you will have to supervise them as the difference in age would be a negative for the younger kitten as the older would play much rougher and could harm the younger kitten. Also if the older kitten is left on it's own with the younger one and continually harm it the younger one would end up being a very stressed and scared kitten always running and hideing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Well I am not going to adopt them young one now, I will wait at least to turn two months old. Just mentioned the difference because I fear that even a two-three month old kitten may still be vulnerable to a 5-6 month old one :/
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 07:17 PM

Oh, alright. Well, I wouldn't worry too much about fighting, but when they play, the older kitty might be a little rougher. Just keep an eye on them and they should be fine. Good luck and let us know when you get your new babies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page