3 year old Male quit using litterbox - HELP - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

3 year old Male quit using litterbox - HELP

I have two cats 2 and 3 years old, both male, neutered and declawed. The older cat has decided to quit using the litterbox, I have tried everything, I do not want to have to get rid of him, but I am not sure what to do!! any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 07:28 AM

There are several reasons why your kitty might have stopped using the litter box. One is his litter is too dirty. This is the most common reason. Clean out his litter more often and see if this helps. Another reason could be stress. Something like moving, new furniture, a new member of the family or new animal can cause your cat to stress out and quit using the litter box. Reason three could be he is attracted to a previously soiled location. If your cat keeps returning to one spot, it may be a spot where another pet previously soiled. Make this spot less attractive to your pet if this is the reason. Have you recently changed his litter? This might cause your cat to stop using the litter box. Hope this helped and if you have any more questions, ask!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 05:09 PM

not using litter box

I have a few suggestions as well. Since he is a male cat, I would first of all check and make sure that he does not have a bladder infection or crystals forming. This is done by making an appointment with the Vet and having a Urinalysis performed, blood work may also be another option to rule out any other medical conditions or if pet relaxants are necessairy. Then your vet could help you from there. If it is not a medical condition then you can try the following.

If you changed the type of litter you use. Always use the same kind of litter if possible. Perfumes and some pearl type of litters can create housesoiling issues.

Add more litterboxes to you household. I would say if you have the room add at least 3.

Try a covered litterbox, or if you have a covered litterbox try uncovering it.

Scoop it at least 2 times a day.

Make sure that it is deep enough, about 2 inches.

Clean out the litterbox entirely at least once a month, wash it out and let it dry.

Place dishes that contain cat food on the areas that he is housesoiliing.

Put litterboxes in the area that he is housesoiling.

Stress may be an issue. You can try using what is called FELAWAY to help comfort the cat by using neutral smelling fermones.

These are a few suggestions I do have more, but usually these work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. I went back to his old litter, and moved the automatic litterbox to another room. He started using it right away.

Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page