sad kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

sad kitty

i adopted a cat about a year ago. shes a female, spayed and had, had an accedent where her hip was broken. she now walks with a limp. she lives with me and my nutererd male. they do not get along well but tolerate each other. on occasion they will swat at each other, either one will be the instigator depending on the circumstance.

the problem is that the female is just not happy. she will not interact. she seems hollow and empty. this may be becuase she has had the accident or that she had more than one previous owner. ive provided every thing i can think of to enrich her life but she stares at me hollow, shallow and cold. Her zest and zeal is non exsistant. I think she is like an prisonor with a feeling of dispare.

what can i do? i want this kitty to be happy

crash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 01:07 PM

Have you given her toys? Maybe spend some time where it is just you and the cats and mess about with her?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 01:11 AM

She may be depressed or in pain from the injury. Even though it may be healed I'm sure you understand the site can still ache and hurt her. Pets can have psychiatric issues as well. I would consult a vet. There are meds that can be safely given for depression in cats. I would try everything possible before medicine though. How long have you had the cat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

yup....she has toys. ive hung a couple up so they wiggle in moving air too. she will play occasionally. she does limp from the acident so i do think she has pain. i have talked to the vet who hasnt offered any kind of anti depresant. i think it is phycological, just a feeing i have. the other cat doesnt help any, hes not mean but just wont befreind her. the best way to describe her is empty, no love, no soul, no desire, just a sad kitty.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

my daughter ask me out the blue last night " do you think little kitty is happy here" i told her i didnt think so. BUT for the very fist time in a year yesterday she came and wanted on my lap. some one told me when i adoped her, that she was abandoned at the accident AND as a very young pup. so at least twice. shes in it with me for the long haul. she even went outside last night for the first time in a month. so i guess things will work out. ty for your responces

crash
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 01:24 PM

oh thats such a sad story. i'm really glad to hear that u've seen some improvement. that was a small but very important when she came to your lap yestetrday.

sounds like she was just very vulnerable after having those traumas in her life. its not surprising it took her some time to realise she really is safe with u and to open up a bit.

sounds like u r doing eveything u can. keep up the good work and giving her lots of love. it sounds like she's on the road to recovery.

jenny
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 12:49 AM

Thats a great step! I'm glad to hear things are looking up!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 08:39 AM

Cats heal from emotional situations the same way people do. Give her time, lots of love, and some one on one play time. She'll come around eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page