Cats fighting out of control, been together for yrs already - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Cats fighting out of control, been together for yrs already

My two cats have been living together for 2 1/2 years now. Peppurr is about a year older, and I had her for about a year before Rocco. Both fixed declawed indoor females. They have never had any problems, they have never been best friends, but there was never confrontation. Starting Saturday night, we came home to WWIII. They hiss and growl and then start fighting. I've done some reading on the net, and contacted my vet, and I've been working with them ever since, with no luck. I've tried the towel technique, tried letting them see eachother in controled environments where they couldn't get to eachother (Rocco broke a screen door), tried giving them treats through the sliding glass door. Nothing has helped. They are both extremly scared, Rocco is to the point she urinates all over. I've never seen them like this. When they are not around eachother it is as if nothing is wrong. Right now I have them both locked up in seperate rooms, so one isn't locked up and another free to roam so they don't feel there is favoritism. I intended on leaving them like that tonight as well, and trying to work with them again tomorrow night. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? I am so attached to both, the thought of having to get rid of one kills me.
Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 09:40 AM

Can they be together at all or do they break out into a fight as soon as they see each other? If they can be with each other for a little bit, then try giving them treats and playing with them when they are together to show them that when they are with each other they get stuff, that it's a good thing. It also usually helps to rub one cat with a towel and then let the other cat smell it, or rub it on the other cat to get them used to each other's smells with out the fighting.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 01:15 PM

I've heard that some cats can be friends all their lives, but then something can happen, I.E. Fight, territorial issues, fighting for potential mates, and it turns them against each other. Unfortunately this can sometimes be forever if you don't try to stop it early on. I used to have a cat that grew up with my Sadie, and for 2 1/2 years they got along perfectly until one day we moved and it was all new territory for them so it caused them to start fighting for it. Fortunately, it wasn't all the time. Sadly, we don't have the other cat anymore, someone shot him. Sadie now hates my new kitten, and I'm trying to make their visits as pleasant as possible to avoid future fights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

They can't even look at one another without hissing and growling, and if they can get at eachother they immediatly fight. I tried the towel thing yesterday evening. I even put one on one side of the sliding glass door, and the other on the other side, had it open an inch, and put treats in either side for them, they ate for about 15 seconds and then started. I'm going to keep them in solitary until tomorrow and try again, but I fear it won't help.
(Sorry about your cat Hello, that is the most terrible thing I've heard!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page