Need help on choosing the right litter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Need help on choosing the right litter

Just got a kitten from a friend
it's around a month old ..... since i'm a 1st time owner my friend gave me a bag of those clear crystal litter that her OTHER cats use....
oh forgot to mention that this kitten has never been train and she has never used a litter box
anyway my kitten seems to be afraid of this kind of crystal litter and refuses to pee in the box .... then i tried the pine pellets but still she seems to hate those too ........ she keeps jumping into the bathtub and pee inside instead.....i tried putting the litter box in the tub and she simply do it right beside it
is that the smell or the texture that she doesn't like
which brand of litter would u guys recommend for a kitten
also when i try a new litter should i keep the box IN the tub or not
THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE and SORRY FOR THE LONG POST !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 12:55 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Since kittens sometimes lick the litter off their paws, I would use a regular clay litter at first. Put the box where she likes to go, and then gradually move it when she uses it regularly. You can switch to a clumping litter when she gets older, if you'd like. I think it's easier for the owner.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 02:42 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kittygirl04 Send a message via Yahoo to kittygirl04
I used the regular clay litter at first--I just put them in it once and they were fine. I have been buying clumping litter for several years now. I like it alot better because you are actually removing the little ball of pee so it isn't just stirred up in the pan to cause odor. I am kind of picky about the scent of the litter--I like Scoop Away, but only in Fresh Scent. There is one--I think it is multi-cat scent--that I smell constantly if I buy it. It's like I try to love on my cats and all I smell is their litter. If it bothers me--then it has to bother them--since their sense of smell is stronger than ours. I have heard that cats are picky about their litter as well. Hey, at least she went to the tub and not the carpet--good kitty!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 02:45 PM

sand....

Actually sand or a sand like litter is very good. It's soft and smooth texture, plus it's easy going apperace might make the perfect choice for your cat. Plus it is very light on dust. Try out TIDY CAT..not the rocks but the sand version. Hope this help.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys
i just got home now and found out that she poo in my sink
LOL
oh well .... guess i'll try the clay or sand litter now
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 10:45 AM

You could try a softer litter, like Yesterday's News or SWheat Scoop. Both clump, but without the harmful sodium benzoate(sp?). Kittens under 4 months should NEVER use regular clay grocery store clumping litter. It can, and has, killed them.

Also, maybe you could put a paper towel with her urine on it under the litter. That might attract her.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 02:32 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Make sure the kitten doesn't eat the litter before you get clumping litter. Start with a non-clumping one just to see if the little one enjoys eating it or not. If the kitten doesn't eat the litter I would recommend you to use clumping litter. Personally I like EverClean.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 11:22 PM

avoid clumping

avoid clumping. if you can't afford yesterday's news and swheat scoops, just use the regular litter (like saular) instead. go for the unscented one to be safe.
most cats don't like the smell of pine, which is probably why your kitty didn't want to go in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page