Cats not using litterbox when we leave for the weekend - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Cats not using litterbox when we leave for the weekend

I have two cats - our male is just over a year and our female is 8 months old. Both of them are fixed, and both use the litterbox with no problems during the week while we are home. However, if we go away for a weekend (of course leaving them lots of food and water!), we come home and there is usually a "present" or two waiting for us on the carpet! This has just started recently and I have no idea what to do about it! Are they mad at us for leaving for a few days? How can I correct this behaviour! HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 08:07 AM

It could be that they're feeling a bit insecure when you're gone and their way off warning of potential threats is to leave a mark as such.

Where are they leaving the 'present'?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

The last time it was right by our entrance way (of course on the carpet, not on the tile!). The time before that, there were several places throughout the apartment. We have to leave again this weekend - so I guess I'll find out when we come back!! Have you got any suggestions on how to make them feel more secure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 10:58 AM

If they're leaving it by the door it sounds like the are feeling a bit insecure. I'm not really sure how you could make them feel better. My cat Doodles pooped by the door for a few weeks when we moved home,it just took time, patience and a lot of cleaning.

Are you leaving enough litter trays out? Cats really don't like to use dirty litter. One of my kitties also likes to have a seperate tray especially for poop so maybe it could be that.

I'll go see what else I can find out
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 11:14 AM

I found a wee page you might want to look at.

http://www.moggies.co.uk/articles/soiling.html

hope it helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page