new kittens leaving nesting bed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

new kittens leaving nesting bed

We have 4 kittens that are as of today just about 11 days old. The place their mama kitty has decided that she likes the kittens in their basket/bed undr our bed. The basket has sides about 3" high. My question is this - At what age is it okay for the kittens to wander out of the basket and to end up meowing on the outside of the nest or wandering around under my bed? They just opened their eyes and it seems like they are not quite ready to wander around.

But what do I know?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 08:03 AM

I'm not sure, when all my kitties were born, we kept them in quite a high sided box with a wee makeshift door on it. We'd leave it open during the day but keep a close eye on the kitties and closed it up before going to bed so that we didn't have any accidents during the night or in the morning when we got up.

I'd say just let them have a wee wander but keep an eye on them. If mum doesn't like it she'll most likely pick them up and put them back herself anyway.

Maybe you could get a bigger box also, I don't know how Mum would feel about moving but our Doodles seemed ok with it. Every cat's different tho.

Don't rely on my advice, there's bound to be someone around who knows a lot more about this kind of thing
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Getting a bigger box sounds easy enough except that she has decided that she wants to be under the bed with the kittens. So because of that there is no room for a higher box. We started out with her in a large empty closet and had her basket with a cover over it in there. This would prevent them from climbing out. Well, Nellie decided that she wanted to move them so under the bed she went. i removed the roof and slid the entire basket under. She likes it there but I am still concerned with the little guys/gals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 11:27 AM

At this age the kittens may try to walk once they can start to see but they will be very, very clumsy. Not usually until the Second and third Week do they start to wander and walk around but will be very off-balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page