HELP!!!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

HELP!!!!!!

I am new to the forum, and i need some help/advice! I have 2 cats one is about 4 and a half and the other is 1. the "kitten" Boo, has been chewing ALL the wires that are connected to EVERYTHING in the house. Hes chewed to the phone cords x2 the computer cords x2 the cable, playstation cords. The wires to my new stereo the alarm clock, sound spa. I could go on and on. He doesnt just chew them, he breaks them in hundreds of diffrent pieces. He does this when i am at work, or when we are sleeping. I am ready to just get rid of him, because i dont know what to do. my husband has put this black tubing on the phone and computer and cable cords, but he still chews. hes got tons of toys to play with, but he wont leave wires alone. My older cat is very good and really doesnt bother with anything. if anyone has advise please let me know.. thank you.. Leann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 02:10 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kittygirl04 Send a message via Yahoo to kittygirl04
Hello, welcome to the Cat Forum! I have never had this problem with my cats, but I do have a suggestion for you. There is something called Bitter Apple--I guess it is a spray that the cats won't like the taste of--maybe you could look for it and give it a try. I hope you can get this worked out. There are alot of people on the Cat Forum that may possibly have a better suggestion. Let us know what happens!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 02:22 AM
Banned

I just looked it up for you. I found that PetSmart carries it. The name is Grannick's Bitter Apple Spray. It doesn't harm animals, but I guess it may be a pain in the butt to have to spray every single cord in your house. The price was $4.99 for an 8 ounce spray bottle. I guess spraying everything in the house is better than getting rid of kitty! Maybe he'll grow out of it eventually. I hope you can post some pictures--I'd love to see your cats. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Well, thank you very much. i will get some in the morning. I was wondering if he has ever got a shock from chewing on them. I will take some pictures tommorow and post them. He has really been the worst cat i have ever owned. He tears up all the garbage bags in the house, he knocks everything over on the shelves, and dressers. Last night with the power outage, i was laying in bed and it was pitch black and all of a sudden i heard a huge crash i thought a tree went through my living room window, he was playing with the blinds and somehow broke the blinds and everything fell of the window. the brackets are all busted. I am going to spray EVERYTHING!!!!! thanks again.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Banned

Wow!! Your kitty sounds like a little terror. I would guess that he'll calm down eventually. My friends cat is like that--we watched him one weekend and I was never so glad to get away from a cat in my life! And that is not like me at all--I adore cats! He was just a brat--he was attacking the other cats because he wanted to play, he jumped all over the bed and attacked my feet, and swatted at my eyelashes while I was asleep and scratched my face. She said that he is getting better--so hang in there. I thought my cat was bad because he likes to lick trashbags, but I'm glad that he doesn't tear them up like your kitty does. I was wondering if you have one of those crinkle sacks for your cat? They sell them in the pet stores--I bet your kitty would love it! Since he probably is attracted to the noise that the bag makes--maybe you should give it a try--he may like it and leave the trashbags alone. ****
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I think Boo is lucky to be alive. Perhaps Feliway would help, but I think he'll calm down a bit as he gets older. I think another six months will make a huge difference in his behavior. He probably knocks things over to get attention-or possibly just for the fun of watching them fall. What a character. I hope you can keep him.

kittygirl, forgive me, but until I saw that your face was scratched I was smiling at your guest cat batting your eyelashes. What an unusual toy! I wish mine were that long!

Paper bags from the grocery store are great for cats to play with. They can hide in them, and the bags make a wonderful crinkle sound.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 02:37 PM
Banned

Jeanie--my cat Yoda did that to me once, also. I was trying to go to sleep (just like when I watched that monster cat) and my eyes must have been twitching--she put her little paw on my eye. At least she didn't swat at me! I don't think it was my eyelashes as much as it was probably just eye twitching. They can find such unusual toys to amuse themselves!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 05:23 PM

leann good luck with that bitter apple stuff, but it didn't do my kitty any good after she got spayed and they told me to get some... it tasted bad (from the look on her face) for a while but then just keep on licking enough until she reopened her spay incision.

if you're going to PETsMART, I've seen that cat grass or something called like it they sell in little pots and you can grow like a house plant and let kitty safely chew on it.

my lil one luckily doesn't go after cords, but she does enjoy chewing on plastic broom bristles. I think it's like scratching, some cats like to chew A LOT while others maybe once in a while.

I agree with Jeanie, whenever I come home with plastic or paper bags of anything, instead of putting them on the counter I lay em on the group for kitty to smell and investigate...then once I empty em I'll leave a couple on the floor for her to play with. Usually gets board with em within a couple days so then I throw away, but when the next batch comes in she'll be ready to play with some new ones.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 05:29 PM

I've had problems with cats chewing wires. As a kitten, Scratchy bit through the cord for the electric piano, so for a while I couldn't do any piano practice. Well, I had been hoping he'd grow out of it. But, no... a couple of years later, he and Jet were sitting under the Christmas tree. Suddenly the fairy lights on the tree went out, and Scratchy came rushing out with all his fur on end, looking quite literally 'shocked'! Luckily he wasn't hurt.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 05:33 PM

hehe good thing! so even after a shock of it's life still chewing away huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page