Cat Anxiety Relievers, Stress meds? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Cat Anxiety Relievers, Stress meds?

Ok, I wanted to know what some of you have used or know people who have used anti-anxiety suppliments, for like when an animal goes to the vet, or has to travel, to help keep them calm.
Things like Rescue Remedy.

I wanted to know if any of you have found an OTC anxiety med to work for you animals, if so which one, and where did you find it.
I will also need one that is safe for the animal to take every day.

Some of the ones I know of are.

Pet-Eze
Calmative Supplement
M & C Serene-UM Pet Relaxer
Francodex Pet Sedate
Good Cat!
Richard's Organics Pet Calm Kava Kava Root
ActiPet Anxiety FreeTM
HomeoPet Remedies
Azmira - Calm & Relax
Rescue Remedy
Vita Treat - Pet Calm

Or any others....

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 10:41 AM

Why does your cat need to take anxiety medications every day? What does he/she do?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

He has a history of Anxiety and depression issues since I adopted him almost 4 years ago.
He needs a lot of attentions, and things set and done just right for him, or it interupts his "life style" so to speak, and will act out in some form as a cause of this.

His latest one, is picking on his sister Isha, which has actually escilated to a dominant aggressive problem.

We are actually moving to a new place this weekend, and with this cat his personality changes from every place we move to, perhaps this move will be for the better, or perhaps for the worst.

That's the really short and skinny of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 02:49 PM

Well, if your cat's attitude doesn't change with the move you could contact a behavior consultant who can help you change the problem as opposed to trying to cover up the problem with medications. Most anxiety medications are not beneficial if just used on their own. Many of them even say right on the bottle "to be perscribed with a behavior modification plan" or something along those lines. I just don't like seeing animals on meds when you can possibly fix the problem with a good behavior consultant. Just my opinion.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 11:17 PM

Hi AngelZoo!
I wanted to answer you sooner but just waited for the others to do so first. I am glad to hear they feel medication is not the only solution for your problem.
My sis gave me this kit "The Tellington t-touch for cats" and it worked wonders for my aloof cat. It also suppose to help anxious cats. There's no drugs,injections,etc. Just your loving touch.The website is www.lindatellingtonjones.com
Well, hope I helped! >>
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the suggestions, unfortunatly I have still been left with no good or bad reviews from various people on those brands I mentioned.

I've been told by a couple people, including the doctor at my practice to put him on benydrle (sp?) and see how that goes.
There are some animals, just as people, whom might have to be on some sort of medication, or some other combination treatment all their lives.

I have heard absolutly no reviews on Feliway being helpful for this issue, it's not even the intented purpose of the product.

I have spoken with behavorists in the past myself, I even work with one currently, I've researched animal behavoir for years, but not everything, specially a new issue, can have an instant fix.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 11:07 AM

Feliway is a wonderful product and works in many cats. I routinely use it in with my behavior cases. It is around $30 a bottle, but a bottle lasts a long time. It comes in a spray or a plug in. Feliway seems to provide a natural calming affect to cats. I use this product for spraying, clawing, and aggression.
To comment on the other drugs I recommend "Clinical Behaviorial Medicine for Small Animals" by Karen Overall. There is a specific section on behavioral Pharmacology that will give you the pros and cons and what she recommends for for each behavioral problem.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Dizzy: Thanks, I might try getting the Feliway, you are honestly the first person out of many, to have used this product for aggression issues, everyone else has it for territorial problems.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:11 AM

Your welcome. I hope everthing works out ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page