Using harness on cats/kittens...? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to Louse76
Using harness on cats/kittens...?

Anyone here use or has tried to use a harness on their cat or kitten? What were your experiences with it?

We bought one for Zero, but he doesn't seem to like it too much. When I put it on, he doesn't want to play or anything, he just calms right down... it's almost sad. He always wants to go outside, rushing out when he gets a chance (he's not allowed to) but even when I offer him to go outside with it on, he doesn't really want to.

Now we just use it on him when he's going toooooo crazy or being loud or scratching on stuff... almost like a strait-jacket.

Here's a couple of pics of him with it on, doesn't he look cute? His nails will be blue, once we cycle on the new set of soft paws, and match the harness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click above to see Zero's album! Please sign his guestbook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 07:39 AM

When Kali was about four months old I used to take her out on a little harness a few times a day, everyday. At first she struggled with me to get it on, but after a while she put up with it knowing that was was going to get to play outside if she wore it. She seemed to be happier being able to have that 'outside freedom' just without so much of the freedon. It works really well for hyper active animals that would like the extra room to play and get out their extra energy. Attempting to form some sort of routine like taking him out for example, after dinner every night, he would be likely to eventually adjust in just a short time. I bet you'll see a difference real soon, he'll probably even start to look forward to it after he experiences it. Good luck and I hope it helps you two to have an extra loving, happy and healthy relationship. By the way, Zero is a great looking cat! He's been treated well, keep up the good work.

- Randy
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 02:46 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

My cats never go outside without a harness. As soon as a cat moves in here I start to use a harness on them. In the start I just let them have the harness on (for short periods of time) indoors soo they'll get used to it. Eventually they get used to it and I take them outside uring the harness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 03:23 PM

hmm, maybe i will try using a harness. my cat freaks to get outside. it will be winter soon, though. can cats go outside in the cold or do their little paws not like it? (i live in minnesota)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 05:23 PM

Gibsons a pretty independent kitty. He wants to go outside all the time. When he was about 5 mons. we got him a harness, it was hard keeping him still when we first tried to put it on. And once we did he wouldnt really walk, he would just fall down. But now he is a year and a half and when he sees his harness he just sits there until we get it on. He has even learned to walk very well with it on.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 06:18 PM

I have never used an actual cat harness, but when Jet and Scratchy were kittens, for their first ventures into the outdoors I made leashes from string, attatched to their collars with dog clips, as I didn't want them to take fright and just bolt off. Jet hated it and kept trying to bite his leash, but Scratchy actually seemed to enjoy being taken for walks around the garden. So I suppose whether or not Zero will take to the harness depends on his personality.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 06:38 AM

Some cats take longer to adjust, when I first put a harness on Gizmo, he thought his back legs wouldnt work anymore, and would just flop onto his side, stiff as a board, quite hilarious actually. But just proving to him that yes his legs did still work, and taking him outside right after hitching him up, and he ignored it quickly enough.

Now he is so well trained that if I ask him if he wants outside he sits patiently in front of the door waiting for me to buckle the harness on
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Very good information everyone!

Then the only other thing is that I don't want him to get fleas... he had a few when we got him and he ate one and got worms (easily fixed though).

Anything I can do to avoid stuff like that? I got some flea/ant/tick controller stuff for my yard and i have a spreader, but i'm wondering how effective it will really be?

There's also advantage but that's pretty expensive, isn't it?

We know he's not going to want to go outside and not play in the grass!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 07:50 PM

The bug spray for the yard works well, but the kitty will still probably get fleas. When we first got Gibson he never went out but he was still getting fleas and we couldnt figure out why. It turned out the the family dog would come in a night and they would transfer to Gibson. We struggled for monthes with different ideas on how to get rid of the flea, bombs, sprays, plenty of baths. When we took him to the vet it was so embrassing cause they said that he was infested, it made us feel like we were bad parents. The vet gave us this new flea control medicine that takes care of worms as well, Revoultion. It worked extremely well. However, when we use it on emma our dog, it doesnt work as well as any other prescription medicine. But just thought I would give you another option. I hope that is ok.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

How much does that stuff cost you? He doesn't hardly ever go outside anyhow, so it probably wouldn't be worthwhile for me unless it was very cheap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page