New Babies and Cats.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

New Babies and Cats....

Was wondering if anyone can tell me how introducing your new baby (human baby lol) to your kitty babies went....The reason Id like to know this is.......

Im PREGNANT!!!!!! YIPEEE....when this baby is due around end Aug beginning Sept next year, my two will be around a year old...so if anyone has gone through this id love to hear from yall...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 03:58 AM

Congratulations!!!! You MUST keep us updated on the pregnancy!

I am not knowledgable at all in the matter of cat-baby introductions, but I'm sure you'll be fine. Its a complete myth that cats intentionally harm babies, if you've heard that one. Just make sure the cats are not left out, give them extra attention, and don't leave them unsupervised.

Ems x
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 12:15 PM
Cat Addict

I also read somewhere that you should start using all the baby lotions, no more tears shampoo, and any other scents associated with babies before you actually have your baby, so your kitties are more comfortable with the smells around the house.

Congrats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 12:41 PM

Yep, the above poster is correct, you want to introduce all of those smells gradually while you are pregnant (congrats, BTW!!!)

Also if you are formula feeding, that smell seemed to bother my cats, so making some and letting them get used to that smell too, may not be such a bad idea.

Getting the babies living quarters set up, and letting the cats know there limits in that area is also a good idea.

When my daughter was born we had three cats. Two of them did absoutly fine with her, and we had no problems. The third, however, we were no so lucky with, he devoloped lots of behavior issues, started peeing on everything, and eventually attacked my daughters face and then a few days later tried to pee on her while I was holding her. Unfortunatly we had to find him a new home.

Congrats again!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 01:28 PM

I am not too sure about actually introducing them - but when my sister came over from england to stay with me last year - my cats were so protective of the baby they practically attacked us every time he cried.

There was me worrying about them snuffing him out in the middle of the night and they are sitting like guard dogs at his door growling at people who try to go in the room while he is sleeping!

Alot of the problems seem to be more hwne they are 2-3 and want to pull at kitty to look at him not knowing that they are scaring/hurting them and get scratched/clawed/bitten etc.

Now when they visit he rolls around the floor meowing at them!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippyhart
I also read somewhere that you should start using all the baby lotions, no more tears shampoo, and any other scents associated with babies before you actually have your baby, so your kitties are more comfortable with the smells around the house.
Maybe this is why they are ok with my sisters baby - I love baby lotion and bumper likes to stick his paws in it so they are all well used to the smell!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys...so it could go from one extreme to the other....ive never had cats around my others when they were babies only when they got a bit older...so was wanting to know...by the time this little one is here, both the cats will be a little over a year old so its hard to say how they will react...I know Skittles is a very needy, and attention seeking cat...shes the one we are mostly concerned with, but it may work out great...I hope it does.....
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Jr. Cat

When I had my son I had 2 cats, and one did fine,

the other one was very, and I mean very attached to me, and pretty much had a horrible time with my son. I had an emergency and had to get out of the country for a year and couldn't take the cats with me. I don't know what to tell you except show your cats lots of love, and don't ignore them when the baby comes, schedule play time for your cats, if not they will resent the baby.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 09:28 PM

I never had any problems when Bosco was still alive. I am expecting my 6th child now....my youngest rightnow is 2 years and my current cats are doing really well with her.....they do go take naps in the crib during the day.
I have no problem with it....alot of cats will do that....There have been a couple times that the kitten got in the crib and woker her at night.
Just being a playful kitten...but since your cats will be older.
You may not have that problem.
CONGRATS!!!
{{{{{{{{sending NO MORNING SICKNESS VIBES}}}}}}}}}}
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 09:12 PM

Cats and New Babies

My son is now 7 months old. When I brought him home from the hospital, my cat pinky, a 7 year old cat who was a ferral kitten, started to drag his clean pjs from the diaper changing station throught he hall, into our room , and cry while doing this? She never really meows, so, that is strage. She now will drag our laundry up from the basement? She will still cry while doing this. What kind of behavioe is this? Is she jealous of Alex? Has anyone else had this experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page