Litter Box Training for 4-Week-Old Kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Litter Box Training for 4-Week-Old Kittens

I started weaning the five kittens this week, and yesterday, I stepped in my first puddle. I had bought them a litter box and set it up, put it in the bedroom, and now I don't know where to start. After they ate last night, I put them all in the litter box one by one. Two of them went in the box (not sure if they understood the concept or just had to go), one peed next to the box when he climbed out, and this morning, I found another puddle and a pile of poop outside the litter box.

Any tips on getting them to understand? I've been reading about giving them rewards, etc., but at this point, I'm having a hard time getting them to eat the food I've been putting out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Well, I put a baking pan down with a small layer of litter, next to mom's box. That way they could learn by example. A litterbox may be too much work for them to climb into, very low walls are a must. And I didn't give them a huge area until they were 100% trained, so that they wouldn't have to trek too far to reach the litterbox. If it's across the room, they might not want to put that much effort into it. Also, a couple more litterboxes may be helpful.

Why have you started weaning so early? I only set the food out as a suggestion for them at five weeks, and they weren't eating solely solid food until nearly seven weeks (they continued to nurse supplementaly until they left at 12 weeks) They're still with mom, right?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

They're still with mom, but I noticed she was turning them away a litttle bit when they wanted to nurse (I figured since there are five, she was getting sore?), so I just started setting out a formula mix with baby food in it as a supplement a few times a day (they aren't all taking to it just yet).

The area they are kept in is a bathroom and bedroom during the day and only the bathroom at night -- I'd like to keep them in the bathroom more, but mom gets so frustrated being locked in back there that it just seems easier giving them the extra space part of the day. I'll try putting out a few more boxes to see what happens. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page