Cat sleeping in Litterbox? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Cat sleeping in Litterbox?

Hi,

as an introduction... I have Diablo, an 11 yr. old neutured male, black longhair.

Last year, about March, Diablo's longtime companion died. Since then he has been pretty clingy - more affectionate (a longterm trend, his name was accurate as a "troubled youth" but he's calmed over the years) and follows me around more, etc. He even tolerates my two dogs much more than he used to - will crouch down touching them when I'm on the computer, when he used to not do anything but hiss and swat at them.

This week, when I returned from a 4 day Christmas trip, I looked for him before going to bed to make sure he wasn't hiding in my room or locked in the bathroom or anything - the usual sweep.

I found him sleeping in the LITTER BOX - backed in like he was doing his business, but with his chin propped on the front ledge and sound asleep.

He has slept the whole night through in one of the two litter boxes (covered ones without a flap) - a couple of nights now.

I put down a couple of cardboard boxes for him out of that room... put a fleece pad in one of them for him. He used to sleep on a leather recliner so it's not like he doesn't have someplace that he calls "his"... He promptly got into the boxes when I put them down -he loves them - but he sleeps in the litter box still!

He is eating normally, functions seem to be normal, seems healthy and friendly and all.

anyone ever seen this one before???

thanks,

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

woops - finally found this on page 9

Sounds similar, but not identical:

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9781
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Banned

I don't think this is anything to worry about, in terms of a behavior issue. When I was touring area shelters looking for my third cat, I saw cats sleeping in litter boxes. But YOU probably don't like it. I can appreciate that. You mention the litter boxes are the covered type. I suspect your cat just likes the security of sleeping in a covered area. Your step of providing a box to sleep in was a good first step. Two questions: is the fleece you put in there something that already has his scent on it? Something he's laid on or slept on? Also, is the box open to the top or to the side? The cat probably prefers a covering above him. Another thing you can try, which is a little risky, is to substitute an open litter box. Risky because if the cat won't use it, you know what happens!

Let us know how you make out...

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page