Cat keeps urinating everywhere HELP! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Cat keeps urinating everywhere HELP!

Hi there.

I have a 10 year old male, declawed and neutered orange tabby. He urinates on the carpets in different rooms. This is something he has done periodically over the years.

We are at our wits end and while we love him to death, we just don't know what the heck to do about this disgusting habit of his.

He is normally a very happy, snuggly, fun, great little guy. I wonder if anyone knows of any ways we can get him to STOP doing this.

My husband is ready to put him down because of this. I don't want to lose my baby (cat) so please, anyone ..can you help? Thanks so much.

I wanted to add this: He is rather heavy almost close to 18+lbs. He eats a lot and drinks a lot. He has not lost any weight and he pees very well and a lot in his box. We've moved recently. Maybe he is upset? I just don't know. We yell 'no' when we see him pee, and shoo him out of the room, pick him up and bring him to his litter robot always clean box! We then pet him. We never freak out when he does this so that is no extra stress.

PS Please, I am only interested in hearing positive helpful replies. Because my cat is declawed and my husband is at his wits end, please don't tell me that we're 'bad' people. The **** smell around the house is toxic and disgusting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Banned

Re: Cat keeps urinating everywhere HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aayla
We've moved recently. Maybe he is upset?
That probably contributes to it.

It sounds from your msg like you only have one litter box. I suggest having multiple boxes. A minimum of two. And if you have a large house, perhaps one at the other end of the house. This is the first, and least expensive, step you can take to try to resolve this issue.

I would even try two different kinds of litter side by side. Maybe he just doesn't like the litter you are using.

Also, you are spraying the places your cat urinated with one of the enzymatic sprays to take out his urine scent, aren't you? So he doesn't smell it and think it's OK to go there again.

Let us know how it works out...

Tim
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 07:23 PM

Has he been to the vet for a medical exam? Certainly his weight is probably making him very uncomfortable. He may at minimum have a urinary tract infection. At the worse, the obesity and eating and drinking a lot and his age could indicate diabetes. I recommend a vet visit with urinalysis and bloodwork.

The advice about an extra litter box is good. Also make sure it is open and big enough for him. Try clumping litter. I often hear of declawed cats giving up on their litter boxes. The softer the litter, the better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

We have one litter box that he is big enough to fit in. It cleans the litter 8 minutes after it is used. It's never dirty, so we don't need another box. See, he's done this ever since I can remember. I didn't always have him. My ex had him for a few years and he gained a lot of weight at that point when my ex overfed him for another behavioral problem he was having -pawing at furniture to cause noise and rattling! As well, the dog used to eat his food, so I feel like he is always concerned he'll never have enough.
He has a self feeder now. If he is out of food, he pees somewhere.
The litter was changed over the years but he uses the litterbox. He doesn't pee daily, outside the box. We do have another box, but since this one is always clean, I don't know why we'd need another. I'm not sure he'd care!
I haven't used the spray in the spots yet as we ran out. I think that is why he keeps doing it because it still smells. I'm getting some of that spray.

Thanks Tim.

We took him to the vet recently and he is in good shape the vet said. He has gained weight since then- 2 months, I'm sure. He feels heavier. I think his weight does make him uncomfortable. He doesn't have diabetes I am told by my vet.
We may get him back in for more bloodwork but unfortunately have to wait until the New Year until next pay.
That's what I was wondering about, timskitties... is that he has given up on the box as it can't be very pleasant for him with his little dainty paws. I wish he had not been declawed, as I'm sure some of his troubled behaviour comes from that.
Softer the litter.. very interesting. I'm going to look into other litters as well and take him back to the vet. He now uses clumping litter. He has for years.
Thanks timskittens.
I really appreciate all your time, both of you. I am wondering if there is something else wrong, but then I remember that he's always done this when he was smaller. He hasn't always been this heavy.
The fact that we have just moved a month ago is probably going to be an adjustment and I think that is how he tells us 'no more moving'. I feel bad for the little guy.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:24 AM

Try Dr. Jean's free article library here:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

Scroll down to litterbox secrets.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 01:38 AM
Senior Cat

He's 10 years old and 18 lbs? It may be that his legs are getting weak from age and he is having trouble getting into the box now. Someone recently posted that they bought a box that was shallower and the problem stopped. I know this may be a pain since you have a litter robot.

I would pick up a cheap shallow box and put it on top of the spot he's using most.

Also make sure to soak the areas he's gone where he shouldn't with an enzymatic cleaner. If you have a deep-cleaner, try the sticky post suggestion at the top of the Behaviour page. Once that scent is there, it's marked as an "ok" place to go. I have 2 that were going everywhere they shouldn't and it helps if you eliminate the smell from the places he shouldn't go.

Also, give Cat Attract litter a try. It has an herb scent to it that makes the cats WANT to go in the box. I can't tell you how much this has helped us. It can be frustrating, I know (BELIEVE me I know), but you'll find a solution that works.

Also, keep you eyes open for "triggers". These are particular situation when the cat goes where it's not supposed to. For example, a dirty shirt on the floor, certain types of mats or rugs (mine would pee on ones that had rubber backing), certain textures that are softer etc. If you figure out what's triggering the action, you can help stop it.

I would also recommend getting your cat on a diet of weight control food. After not getting food (cause of the dog eating it), it sounds like there is an overeating problem and a bit of a stress issue. When you check out Dr. Jean's site, also look into some of the essences she has listed. They help with a wide variety of things. I tried the adjustment one when we moved and it help tremendously.

Good Luck,
Lenore
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 01:40 AM
Senior Cat

Wow, I used the word "also" way too much. lol
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Hehe, I didn't notice that you used 'also' too much!

Thanks SO much for your wonderful advice though!!! I'm showing my husband this so he can see that there is hope for our little guy.

We have two old shallower boxes. Litter robot has steps to it, but we'll see how he prefers the old one. (Yuck cleaning litter again will suck! Haha)

The enzyme thing I'm picking up too, and Cat Attract, eh? I've never heard of it but will wander down to check that out too. Sounds nice.

He pees on any carpet, except our bedroom carpet and our oriental rug which he never goes pees on. He sleeps everywhere and does have his own basket which he likes as well.
We have him on a senior food, and the vet said at 16lbs he was fine. He said we could get him on a low cal but didn't seem too concerned. That confused us.
I am trying the low cal for him. Is there any anyone recommends? He only eats dry food... though, I did catch him eating some of our other cat's soft food the other day.
Yes, he seems stressed about food. I'm looking at that site CTCat recommended.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aayla
It's never dirty, so we don't need another box.
well, no, sorry, but that's not true. it could be sparkling clean, and he still might not want to use it. believe it or not, some cats just like two litter boxes: one to pee in and one to poop in! I'd still try the two litter boxes and two different kinds of litter. and all the other comments others have made about health, weight, scents, cleaners, box height, size etc. all are very good and worth pursuing. don't assume anything! you say this behavior has been on and off continued for a while, so something's not been quite right for this cat for a long time. I'm willing to bet it's something easily fixed, but you just might have to have a lot of patience and be willing to try different things and wait to see if they work.

good luck!!

Tim
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

yeah, I am realising that Tim. I think he may not like the litter robot. I am taking out the old boxes and seeing how he likes one that is pretty shallow.
We'll see. WISH me luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page