Scotty scared me today...not sure if he was playing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Scotty scared me today...not sure if he was playing

Usually when I get ready for work in the morning, Scotty will run up to me, wrap his paws around my leg and then run away. This is our game of tag (I chase him, then run away and he "tags" me again). He doesn't use his claws or anything. Sometimes, he nips at me and I figured it was just play aggression and I would play with him. This morning was different... He was very aggressive and it scared me.

Last week the boyfriend was gone for the holidays (he was visiting family in PA), so it was just Scotty and I. Everything was "normal" until the other day.

I don't know what to do. He gets play time, multiple times a day, but I'm not sure it was him playing this morning.

The only thing I can think of is more play time and more one-on-one time with him. But it really scared me this morning that he was so aggressive towards me!

Where did my sweet baby go? Could it be jealousy? Or could there be a medical issue here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Banned

oh, I don't know....sometimes they just get hyper!! I wouldn't worry about it, but if he repeats the behavior, and you don't like, you should discourage it by refusing to engage him in it. if he doesn't get any positive reinforcement from you, and finds you don't like it, he's less likely to repeat it.

yesterday Tommy jumped on my back as I was bending down to pet another cat, and my LOUD exclamation (his claws needed trimming), scared him and everybody else!! I think that gave him the message it wasn't appreciated. (I hope)

Tim
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

See, that's the thing, when he BITES, I don't encourage it. If he's just doing a "run-by-tapping" with his front paws, then I play with him.

I think I'll just try and remove him from the bathroom when I'm getting ready if he bites again. At least, that's what I did this morning. I just hate having to scruff him to get him out (if I don't, he'll get a good bite on my hand).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky
I think I'll just try and remove him from the bathroom when I'm getting ready if he bites again.
yes, I think that should work. if they don't get the response they want (attention!!) from a particular behavior, then they're less likely to be motivated to repeat. unless it's something that's purely instinct.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page