Kitten bites! Help!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Kitten bites! Help!!

Last month I joined this forum when we adopted a very sick (respiratory infection and ringworm) little kitten from a shelter. I am very happy to say she is now 100% better, eats enough for a dozen kitties, and is extremely playful. The problem is that Abbey also bites when she plays--and she bites hard! It seems to be a completely playful bite, but she breaks the skin. She acts like hands are one of her many toys! How do you correct a 13 week old kitten? A sharp NO! like I would do for a puupy has no effect. We love everything about Abbey but this. Is it a stage she will grow out of? Should we just wear gloves when we play with her?
Also we need help in socializing her with our dogs. So far we have strictly supervised their interaction--the dogs seem friendly but Abbey is aggressive toward them and has tried to bite/scratch them.
Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 01:41 AM

When she bites your hand, let it go limp. Then take it away and mover her away from you - she is just playing, but if you allow her to bite, she will get the message it is okay.

That's a brief answer, but visit this (Dr Jean's) site for more info:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

There are articles about introducing cats to dogs, play therapy and agression, etc. It is a great place to learn about how to work with you cat!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Banned

the other thing is, it takes a while to get results. continue using the behavior modification technique mentioned above consistently, no exceptions for as long as it takes.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Biting kitty

Thanks for the help! As a first time cat person, I need all the help I can get!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 12:23 PM

Yelling "ouch!" in a high squeaky voice will also let her know that she's hurting you and that's not so fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page