Sudden skiddishness - normally a VERY friendly comfy kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Sudden skiddishness - normally a VERY friendly comfy kitty

We have two cats about 4 years old - they're brothers and totally love each other. They are normally very friendly, but yesterday, the younger one started to act very strange. He started acting very skiddish, he was especially aftraid of his brother and he hid under the bed for 4 hours. I always watch them carefully, so I know that his brother didn't do anything to him (besides, he's a friendly cat anyway).
Finally, I took him to the vet to make sure that there wasn't anything physically wrong with him. He seemed okay. When I got him home, he was still afraid of sounds, and he thinks he sees things and runs away. It's very strange as he has NEVER acted this way before.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is it possible that he could be going through some neurological problems that could happen overnight? We got one of those pharmone distributors to see if this can calm him down, but I don't see much difference today.

I'm really concerned...thanks to anyone who responds!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:37 AM
Banned

Re: Sudden skiddishness - normally a VERY friendly comfy kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezachris
Is it possible that he could be going through some neurological problems that could happen overnight?
This is so highly unlikely that it's not worth worrying about. These things don't develop overnight.

Sometimes cats spook for the slightest reason. Has there been any change in the household? New furniture? Move furniture around?

Sounds silly, but they are acutely aware of their environment and even the slightest change can induce a behavioral change.

I don't know if that's the case here. But I think you can safely give it a couple days to see what develops. Give him time to come out of it and get back to his usual self. Meantime, be supportive.

Maybe someone else will have more insight into this.

Tim
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Well, there's been nothing new in the house for a while. That's why it's so confusing. It's like he's seeing ghosts...he seems a little better today, but he's still acting strange.
Maybe someone has had this problem before...so weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Cool Cat

It could be something as simple as the two cats looking out the window together. One sees a bird and gets excited, the second goes to sniff the first and gets an evil look, a hiss or a pawful of claws in the side of the head (redirected aggression). Then the second cat is scared for a couple of days, and the harder you try to make him feel better, the more afraid he gets.

My cat's sensitive to barometric pressure, gets very standoffish and irritable when the barometric pressure drops, and she goes completely bonkers during windstorms and the spring thaw when snow and ice slide off the roof. And, occasionally, she just goes "psycho-kitty" for no apparent reason (at least not one apparent to my dull human senses).

Playing gently often helps a cat forget a sudden skittishness for a time. Also, a low-volume radio or TV can help even out the peaks and valleys in daily noise that might bother a spooked cat.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezachris
Well, there's been nothing new in the house for a while. That's why it's so confusing. It's like he's seeing ghosts...he seems a little better today, but he's still acting strange.
Maybe someone has had this problem before...so weird.
Don't laugh at me, but maybe he has experienced something paranormal!

Quite unlikely to those 'non-believers', I know, but in my last flat whenever something spooky happened (I believe the house was haunted) Finn would always freak out for 24 hours afterwards!

Something has obviously spooked him either way, maybe he has seen an intruder in the garden (this always pees Bumper off big-time!), or has done something to frighten himself.

I think if it was neurological, you would have noticed something gradual unless he has had specific head trauma, though of course you can never say never, and it is possible. Neurological problems tend to produce quite dramatic symptoms. One of my cats has neurological damage and at first could not really walk, coordinate or focus correctly.

Ems
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Cool Cat

Not laughing...and it occurs to me that up in Cat Chat there's a thread about animals acting weird before/during/after the Asian Tsunamis. I thought I was being paranoid about Assumpta's odd behavior (I had kind of made the Tsunami connection, but decided I was being silly). I noticed that several of the shelter's torties were acting strange, too (I could just be more in tune to torties or be paying more attention). It's easy for cats to get spooked, and probably most of the time, what spooks 'em doesn't even register with us "inferior" humans.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

I agree with the observation that animals seem to be able to predict natural disasters - I've heard many stories about horses and wild animals acting really strange before Mt. St. Helen's erupted.

Bean (the kitty in question) seems to be doing better this afternoon. He's still a little nervous, but at least he sat on the couch with me for a while and cuddled like he normally does.

Thanks to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page