I didnt know cats could 'scream' like that? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

I didnt know cats could 'scream' like that?

Took Mi' Mi' in to have her spayed today.
The pre-op blood draw was about impossible.... WOW
I never saw a cat flip out like that before? Between the vet and teh tech....they could not get it done.
I had to leave before their second attempt....they had to put her in
a kennel and give her some calming time.
I trust my vet and I could not watch that twice!

I called about noon and she is out of surgery and doing fine.
Turns out she was still in heat so it cost extra $20 for the spay.
I am praying I have not traumatized this already tempermental cat!

Oh Boy....whew!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Cool Cat

Oh yeah, they can scream when they feel like it. Sometimes, their nervousness feeds off the owner's and vice-versa. Since you trust your vet, it was probably wise of you to go when you did.

When Assumpta had her big dental cleaning several years ago, she had to stay overnight (which I'll never do again, BTW). I got a call from the vet's office at 7:30 AM asking me if I could come and get her early, before opening, because none of the techs could get near her and she was upsetting the other animals. They had to use rabies gloves and scruff her to get her into her carrier for the ride home. The vet prepped me on what to expect when she got home, and I was NOT looking forward to dealing with psycho-kitty for a few days.

The foolish cat walked out of the carrier, slashed her tail around a few times, hissed at me (but very conversationally, like "Man, I am having SUCH a bad day!"), ate a whole bowl of food, then fell asleep on my lap. Two hours later, the tech who crated her called to see if she was being difficult, and I related the above on speaker-phone for everyone in the office.

But be prepared for some extra aggression to people and other pets while she gets used to her own territory and space again. Your vet should give you some post-op instructions on behavior and medical things. They usually get over vet visits (though you may have to be sneaky next time you put her in the carrier). I'm glad she's spayed now, and I hope it helps with her aggression in the long run (just be ready for a couple days of very annoyed kitty).
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank You Gudewife....Your responses are always so thoughtful!
I am glad you posted here....I wanted to tell you that since you mentioned 'looking for patterns' when she gets aggressive. I started
paying closer attention to that. There is a pattern when she is on the kitchen counter....this is where I feed her. I now give her food with no touching....just soft talking. My best guess is that she has been scolded for being on countertops....she acts afraid that I am going to hit her.
I also started feeding some of her meals in another room on the floor,
those days she will never go on the counters. Makes me sad!

As far as bringing her home from the vet.....you think I should do it tonight at closing time rather than in the morning?
I can make a quiet place for her here.....but since our house is so super busy busy....I wondered if she just wouldnt sleep it off there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Cool Cat

If you think she'll be okay at the vet's and it would be quieter, it might be best to leave her overnight...I just know that MY cat definitely does better at home (or, I should say...the vet doesn't really want her overnight anymore )

Edited to add...glad the "finding patterns" thing worked for you. I remember that a lot of Assumpta's earliest issues revolved around hairballs...someone must have punished her severely for throwing up, because she'd always cry, cringe, and roll over on her back in the aggressive position when she threw up. Took me a long time to get through to her that throwing up was fine and that no one would get mad or kick her for it (she always had a lot of aggression toward shoes and boots right after throwing up). Sometimes you have to be a bit of a detective.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

I went to the vet and paid my bill....$394.00 OUCH!
We wont be telling the husband about that. $45 dollars of that was for Duchess vaccinations....the rest was all for Mi' Mi'.

Because she was in 'heat' they would not let me take her home today.
I did kinda beg......but I understand. They need to check her in the morning. I can go at 10am. I did stop and buy some Rescue Remedy for her too.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
We wont be telling the husband about that. $45 dollars of that was for Duchess vaccinations....the rest was all for Mi' Mi'
I thought I was the only one who kept "secrets" from my husband. H thinks a dental cleaning with extractions etc...is only $100 Canadian
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
Dawn, you didn't say if YOU screamed after that....
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

LOL.....No Tim, I didnt scream!
Female cats do cost more to alter. I did pay extra for blood panel screening, FeLuek testing, and FlouraFoam teeth stuff. I paid extra for a Pain Injection and another $50 for Laser Surgery Option....It also cost an additional $20 because they discovered she was still in heat....

I just feel better knowing everything I can due to the fact she was a stray cat. I have no way of knowing if she has ever had any care before.
Just think in 2 or 3 months I get to do it all over for Duchess.
I really wanted her to be done today but she only weighs 3.5 pounds and they need to weigh 5-6. Shoot! I though they would like to recover together.....
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:32 PM

Dawn,

When you bring Mi Mi home make sure she gets a quiet secure place away from Duchess. When I brought Tasha home, the queen of the house she ran straight downstairs and stayed behind the toilet for 3 days. I couldn't get her to eat hardly anything or move, and I didn't want to pick her up because she was soar. When she was gone Angel got more comfortable and I think she knew when Tasha came home that she wasn't 100% so she ran the house and Tasha hid. The vet told me I should have brought Tasha in and kept her away from Angel. I guess eating and fluids are a real must after surgery and the vet has special high calorie food for cats that aren't eating much. She got really lethargic and I finally had to coax her onto a blanket to pick her up and take her upstairs. It was so heart breaking seeing her feel so uncomfortable and scared.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Yes, Thanks....I am going to put her up in a little kitty hotel...LOL!
We have a tiny bedroom that is only 9x8....it is my youngest daughters room. There is a bubble lamp in there that is super relaxing and I can put her food and litter in there....Hubby already put a latch hook way up top...
so I can lock her in and keep my kids OUT.....My cats regularly sleep in the baby crib most of the day, so I knwo they like being in that room.
I gotta say it is a peaceful room. Duchess probably gonna feel left out.
She will get over it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page