need help getting cat to wear collar - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

need help getting cat to wear collar

I'm having a real problem getting Mellie to wear a collar. She's OK with the collar as long as her attention is being distracted -- petting, play, whatever -- but as soon as she's left alone, she thinks the collar is something on her neck that needs to be "cleaned" off, and she gets her lower jaw stuck under it. I can't get the collar tight enough to prevent it. This last time I tried, it was even tighter than the "two fingers" rule, and she still got her jaw stuck. The poor kitty was terrified, and so was I, terrified that she might hurt herself, and terrified I might get hurt trying to get it off! It's a safety collar, but she had the clasp in her mouth and I wasn't going to get my fingers anywhere near there. Quickly I got a scissors and cut the **** thing off. My poor little baby!

I would like them to wear collars eventually in case they get out. But I don't want to put poor Mellie through that again. Any suggestions on how I can get her to wear a collar, or other ideas? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:13 PM

Hmmmmm. I dont have to worry about cat collars.
My dogs make sure that no cats exit! LMAO!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Cat Addict

Thomas did that too with the first collar I got for him. It was the smallest one they had and I had it on the tightest setting and he still got it stuck in his mouth. I almost had a heart attack. I thought he was going to break his jaw!

I just waited until he was a little bigger and put the collar back on him, it worked fine once he had a bigger neck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty's Mom
it worked fine once he had a bigger neck.
yes, that's why I'm waiting with Rocket and Tommy, but Mellie's a calico and I think she's pretty close to full grown, a petite cat.

Tim
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:34 AM

My mother-in-law put a flea collar on her cat. The poor thing got his paw caught in it. When kitty came running across the road it looked like she only had 3 legs and had been hit by a car. Needless to say she stopped using the collar.

Tim - I wanted to try collars on my girls, I don't think either is going to like it, I will let you know how I make out!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:41 AM

I tried to put collars on our kitties...instead of resisting, they just stopped and stood still. It was so strange. We tried to have them adjust slowly, but they just stood there not knowing what to do. Finally, I took them off. I'm considering microchipping them instead. They're indoor cats, but ya never know!

Maybe you can wait till the kitty is a little larger, then put it on a little every day, increasing the time. Let us know what you decide.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezachris
then put it on a little every day, increasing the time.
well, that I've already done, and the same thing happens every time.

I don't know how much bigger she'll get; I don't think she's grown at all in the last month.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 11:27 AM

if you just make it a regular thing, the cat will keep it on for sure.

i made beaded collars for my black cats with blue scarab beads in the middle (they looked like bastet, so cute!). and i made them out of a thin thin elastic that would just break if they got it caught on something.

boo got hers off within a day, but spooky had hers on for weeks until it wore and broke itself.

so maybe if you try something thin that doesn't constrict them, it might work better.

instead of spending all of that money on different sized collars, train her with some thin thin elastic so she gets used to having something around her neck
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky
instead of spending all of that money on different sized collars, train her with some thin thin elastic so she gets used to having something around her neck
that's a good idea. I'll try that. Have to find/buy some, though.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:33 PM

Tim, They sell that fine elastic in the craft section of Walmart or any craft store. See if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page