The Big Bad Vicious Hunter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

The Big Bad Vicious Hunter

My cat Random is the most agile, stealthy hunter there is! We're often sitting in the living room relaxing and suddenly his ears perk up. He first sits upright then crouches down very low to the ground, stalking his prey. There across the room lays a poor defenseless.... catnip mouse. It lays there in the wide open, Random circles his prey and pounches! He attacks for a few moments, gripping the helpless stuffed mouse in his paws and biting. He then meows loudly, picks up his fallen prey in his mouth (still meowing), brings it to me and deposits it at my feet. I praise him for being such a good kitty! A fantastic hunter! A thoughtful pet to bring me a present! He's so thoughtful that even when I am not home I often return to find several stuffed mice on top of my bed. He would be a real menace if he was in the wild.

Anyone else have vicious hunters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Banned

yes, my cats like to play that game, but they don't bring their "prey" back to me they mostly hide it under the sofa
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Cool Cat

I have a lethal mouser. She isn't at all interested in toys (outside of the wily and devious milk ring, which she chases when no one's looking), but when it comes to real mousies, she is a wonderful hunter. She can also snatch moths right out of the air.

Also, one night we had a bunch of katydids in the house, and she pointed them. She'd stalk up close to one and stare at its location until one uf us came along and dispatched it, then she would do that little crouch-run to the next one and stare until we came to get the bug. It was a great help, because it's hard to tell where the sound is coming from, and by the time we were done, there were NO bugs left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Yeah, I've got my own little pride of them . Well, just Scully, Miko and Stephanie. Beeper was a great huntress in her time, but old age has set in, and she does more stalking than actual hunting. She won't sink to the level of toys , with the occasional exception of Da Bird, which I'm sure she uses just to keep her "real" hunting in peak condition I seriously don't know what the other three would do if they didn't have each other, though. Probably drive me up the wall...

They stalk, ambush, attack, growl, hiss, pin each other down, roll around on the floor, tear across the backs of the couches and through chair legs, chase, chase, and chase some more, generally sounding like a mini-stampede. They pounce, leap, bounce, tackle, flip, wriggle away from their attacker and get back to stalking, ambushing...

And when they're not perfecting their hunting prowess on each other, there's always the stuffed toys: they alternate between grooming and snuggling with them, and treating them like prey, to be strangled and gutted.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 04:12 PM

I LOVE the name Random! I can never think up clever names.

Tiger only hunts people-toes from under the bed. Knuckle-head!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 04:13 PM

My kitties favorite prey is each other! They run and romp through the house and sound like a herd of cattle coming down the hall!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersmom
I LOVE the name Random!
Aw thanks!! When I first got him he was about 8 weeks old and was the most random kitty I had ever seen. He would be napping one minute - totally sprawled out and relaxed, and then suddenly jump straight up in the air and run across the room chasing who-knows-what. Or else he'd be running like crazy around the house, flying through the hallways at top speed, then just suddenly fall over in front of you and do the cute "pet-my-belly!" thing. Hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page